Can't create solid because shape is not a shell

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
maxcwy2017

Re: Can't create solid because shape is not a shell

Post by maxcwy2017 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 pm
maxcwy2017 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 am or can I just continue construct like what is shown by Willem?
Of course you can. You would continue with a new sketch at which you change the AttachmentOffset so that it is slightly skewed.
I see. Thank you for your help, I will try it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here a proposal for the first tube. Multiply it with a polar pattern.

I have used a DatumPlane, because I guess you may want to make hole in it. Please note that the pad has two lengths.

For the second DatumPlane I cheated a bit: I duplicated the first DatumPlane, detached it, and turned its Placement with Incremental checked by 360°/8. A proper way could be to reuse the placement of the first DatumPlane with appropriate expressions.
File of the Sputnik injector is attached.
Snip macro screenshot-c36f42.png
Snip macro screenshot-c36f42.png (14.82 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Attachments
injector_cb.FCStd
(103.39 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

Can I just fill up the gap by linking the cylinder and the main body as shown in the picture? Like make a constraint on the main body and then link the points from the cylinder to the main body? Or do I need to do in from scratch?
Attachments
Question1.PNG
Question1.PNG (40.19 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 pm Here a proposal for the first tube. Multiply it with a polar pattern.

I have used a DatumPlane, because I guess you may want to make hole in it. Please note that the pad has two lengths.

For the second DatumPlane I cheated a bit: I duplicated the first DatumPlane, detached it, and turned its Placement with Incremental checked by 360°/8. A proper way could be to reuse the placement of the first DatumPlane with appropriate expressions.
File of the Sputnik injector is attached.
Snip macro screenshot-c36f42.png
Sorry, I just saw your post. Thanks for your help, I will try it. Because until now I am using only CREO so I don#t quite understand how does FreeCAD works. Yup, they have 2 different lengths and with 4 of them at 90 degrees apart from each other. Do you have any video tutorial to recommend? So that I can understand how does this works better.
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

Now I wanted to do a solid quad mesh and I am using Instant mesh. Although I already chosen the option of pure quad mesh but when I exported it as OBJ file and then converted it into NAS file from FreeCAD and imported into AVL FIRE. But instead of quad mesh, it still shows triangle mesh and also is there any way to do a solid mesh ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

maxcwy2017 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 am Do you have any video tutorial to recommend? So that I can understand how does this works better.
Sorry, but I stopped looking at videos, because I was never quite satisfied.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

I made some changes to my model and now I just wanted to add the cylinders at the nose of the injector. Do I just use a datum plane and sketch the connector with the length, diameter and offset angle that I wanted? After that just duplicate with polar pattern?
Attachments
Injektor_8Holes_Ver2.FCStd
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

maxcwy2017 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 am I made some changes to my model and now I just wanted to add the cylinders at the nose of the injector. Do I just use a datum plane and sketch the connector with the length, diameter and offset angle that I wanted? After that just duplicate with polar pattern?
If you use a DatumPlane, you can model a circle with the right diameter and pad it to the length.

Is there anything special we should see in the file you uploaded except that it is possible to create two identical objects without history?
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:15 am
maxcwy2017 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 am I made some changes to my model and now I just wanted to add the cylinders at the nose of the injector. Do I just use a datum plane and sketch the connector with the length, diameter and offset angle that I wanted? After that just duplicate with polar pattern?
If you use a DatumPlane, you can model a circle with the right diameter and pad it to the length.

Is there anything special we should see in the file you uploaded except that it is possible to create two identical objects without history?
I see. Thank you.

Actually no, I only changed the bottom half of the outer layer and completely changed the inner layer. I reuploaded just to make sure that if someone don't quite understand what I am asking, then the is a model to look at.
maxcwy2017

Post by maxcwy2017 »

What does it means that linked shape object is empty? I keep getting this error.