Export uses old data

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcschooley

Export uses old data

Post by dcschooley » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 pm

I've run into a problem such that when I export a drawing into a different format, such as SVG, I get an old version of the drawing. Sometimes I can do enough random things such that FreeCAD decides to update whatever internal chunk of data is responsible for getting things exported. I've included a FreeCAD file and sample screenshots and output. Drawing.png is a screenshot of the drawing. top_plate.svg is what shows up when I export. It doesn't really matter what I export to. Exporting to DXF does exactly the same thing. I've saved the drawing multiple times, opened and closed FreeCAD, opened and closed different drawings. Needless to say, it's frustrating.

Thanks.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
top_plate.svg
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Drawing.png
Drawing.png (97.11 KiB) Viewed 107 times
top_plate.FCStd
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
chrisb

Re: Export uses old data

Post by chrisb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I guess you export while still being in Sketcher. Close the sketch before exporting and return if the problem persists.

Concerning your sketch: try to use geometric constraints instead of repeating the same measure again. Makes your sketch clearer and more flexible.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dcschooley

Post by dcschooley » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Thank you. It works now. Simply closing the sketch didn't work until I made your recommended changes to the constraints and closed the sketch again.

I'm back to using FreeCAD again after using it when it was at version 0.15 to design 3D-printed parts. I never had to close the sketch to get an STL file out of it. Is this a new behavior?
chrisb

Post by chrisb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

You probably don't have to close the sketcher if you perform a recompute before exporting. Auto update is another option. I think this was introduced after 0.15, so there is the distinguishing change. Calling it "new" seems a bit exaggerated though, as it is probably there since some 4 years. Nevertheless I recommend not to use Auto update on your rather complicated sketch because work is so much smoother if the model isn't recomputed on each change in the sketch.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.