Assembly 4 simple mortise and tenon joint

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sam9am

Assembly 4 simple mortise and tenon joint

Post by sam9am »

Complete noob here. I am working on drafting a coffee table. Found a great website that gave step by step instructions on how to do it in Assembly 2 and 0.18 and then made the mistake of upgrading to Big Sur before completing the project :( Am now in 0.19 and Assembly 4 and am wondering if there are any tutorials or step by step instructions for a simple mortise and tenon joint. The tutorials I've found have been way over my head...
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 simple mortise and tenon joint

Post by kisolre »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you provide link to the original tutorial I am sure you will get ideas how to adjust to A2+, Assembly4, Assembly3, ... :)
sam9am

Post by sam9am »

Thanks Kisolre. Never thought of doing that! Here's a link to that tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDPv9tB ... CTClpUpGrt

I was able to follow his steps very easily using the 0.18 version of Freecad and Assembly 2 but now neither of those options are open since I've upgraded to Big Sur. I can easily make the boards with their mortise and tenons, I'm stuck when it comes to assemgling them together... the assembly 4 tutorials I've seen are for more complex objects than what I will ever need to deal with :lol:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I'm a bit confused. I know there are/were some big issues with Big Sur and FreeCAD.

But, are saying that you upgraded to a new version of FreeCAD along with Big Sur and are having problems with FreeCAD?

Or just that the newer version of FreeCAD doesn't have Assembly 2?

In fact, any of the assembly workbenches may be over kill for what you want... ;)

But, A2+ should suffice, though even still over kill.

Simply using multiple Body's, one for each mortise and tenon rail with ShapeBinders to position would be one simple solution.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
sam9am

Post by sam9am »

I did have a problem getting FreeCAD up and working on my mac but there was enough documentation about the problems that I was able to get it working albiet I have to login via the terminal app to open the program. My problem is trying to understand how to set the LCS point in Assembly 4. The tutorial I was using for Assembly 2 was exactly what i needed but then I did the upgrade and Assembly 2 and 0.18 doesn't work anymore so I'm back to square one.

You mentioned the A2+ workbench and shapebinders. Is there a step by step video or tutorial available to show one how that works? You're right, most of what FreeCAD offers is overkill for what I want/need but it seemed the best bet after Sketchup went all online and digital...
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

sam9am wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:11 pm I did have a problem getting FreeCAD up and working on my mac but there was enough documentation about the problems that I was able to get it working albiet I have to login via the terminal app to open the program. My problem is trying to understand how to set the LCS point in Assembly 4. The tutorial I was using for Assembly 2 was exactly what i needed but then I did the upgrade and Assembly 2 and 0.18 doesn't work anymore so I'm back to square one.
If you check the Known Issues list you'll see 0.19 doesn't run on Big Sur.

You mentioned the A2+ workbench and shapebinders. Is there a step by step video or tutorial available to show one how that works? You're right, most of what FreeCAD offers is overkill for what I want/need but it seemed the best bet after Sketchup went all online and digital...
To be clear, I was saying ShapeBinders could be used instead of any assembly workbench.

Side note: for LCS in A4, I think you just add them as necessary.

For A2+ the wiki has a reasonably good explanation. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/A2plus_Workbench

No LCS's there, just choose faces, holes, etc. and add an attachment type...

I know of no particular tutorials on ShapeBinder.
You can have a look at the attached for an example of using ShapeBinder. Feel free to ask questions. ;) :
Snip macro screenshot-4eb028.png
Snip macro screenshot-4eb028.png (99.65 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Attachments
Mortise-n-Tenon.FCStd
(42.61 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
sam9am

Post by sam9am »

Thanks for the help and advice. I managed to figure it out and have completed my design! Would attach pictures or the files if I could figure out how to do that :lol: So stoked I got it to work :D
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

sam9am wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm Thanks for the help and advice. I managed to figure it out and have completed my design! Would attach pictures or the files if I could figure out how to do that :lol: So stoked I got it to work :D
Look below the text entry screen when you are typing a reply. There are two tabs Options and Attachments.

Or you can also just drag the pic to the reply window.
sam9am

Post by sam9am »

Duh! :oops: I saw the options but completely missed the attachments...if it had teeth it would've bit me! So, here are pics and the master file. Again, a big thank you for the tips and tricks :D
Attachments
topcoffeetable.pdf
(47.45 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
coffeetable front.pdf
(56.46 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
master coffee table.FCStd
(119.83 KiB) Downloaded 16 times