How to view crash log? FreeCad is hanging during Path WB sim, 100% replicable.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
charlitron1

How to view crash log? FreeCad is hanging during Path WB sim, 100% replicable.

Post by charlitron1 »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23578 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 50c3cbf00579dc4941ca743c25720d016b0453ce
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I'm having FreeCad hang on me during a Path WB simulation and it is 100% replicable.

It's a 3D pocket path and simulating it causes FreeCad to hang every time at exactly the same spot in the simulation. I've done some testing and the boundary dressup that I have on the path doesn't seem to have an effect (removing it doesn't change the result).
However, interestingly, if I change the Pass Extension of the pass, the simulation will either resolve completely as expected, or hang at a different point (still the same every time depending on the distance I set the Pass Extension at.

On recovering the file after closing FreeCad (it stops responding and I can force it to close), these errors show in the report panel:

11:55:48 Reading failed from embedded file: PartShape59.bin (0 bytes, 2 bytes compressed)
11:55:48 Reading failed from embedded file: PartShape60.bin (0 bytes, 2 bytes compressed)
11:55:48 Reading failed from embedded file: PartShape61.bin (0 bytes, 2 bytes compressed)
11:55:48 Reading failed from embedded file: PartShape63.bin (0 bytes, 2 bytes compressed)
11:55:55 Reading failed from embedded file: PartShape96.bin (0 bytes, 2 bytes compressed)
11:55:55 SketchObject::onChanged(): Unmanaged change of Constraint Property results in invalid constraint indices

I don't know if those are pertinent.
Any hints on even where to start trying to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!

I can upload the file if necessary (though I'm a bit embarrassed about what experienced users might see within in terms of best practice lol).
That said, fixing this specific problem would be great, but I'd also like to learn how I can resolve errors like this myself in the future.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
error screenshot.png
error screenshot.png (560.49 KiB) Viewed 587 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to view crash log? FreeCad is hanging during Path WB sim, 100% replicable.

Post by chrisb »

Did you look at with the inspection tool at het G-codes? Just to rule out that it is the simulation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: How to view crash log? FreeCad is hanging during Path WB sim, 100% replicable.

Post by GeneFC »

charlitron1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm Any hints on even where to start trying to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!
Please attach your FCStd file, or at least a representative one. This error does not appear to be a common one, so examining the file is important.

Gene
charlitron1

Post by charlitron1 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:05 pm Did you look at with the inspection tool at het G-codes? Just to rule out that it is the simulation.

I'll be honest, I am a novice - I looked at the g-codes and I couldn't see anything that looked "off" but that is saying very very little.
GeneFC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 am
charlitron1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm Any hints on even where to start trying to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!
Please attach your FCStd file, or at least a representative one. This error does not appear to be a common one, so examining the file is important.

Gene

Here it is! Thank you very much for the replies.
Also, I updated to the latest version I think and still no dice (hangs in exactly the same place.

Steps to replicate:

1. open file
2. switch to Path WB
3. simulate path g-code on stock
- Sim with "DressupPathBoundary001" active. You can run the sim with just this process active, or all of them, no difference.
*** it hangs on my system midway through the second counter-clockwise rotation of the process noted.
- if you remove the boundary dressup and just run "Pocket_3D004, interestingly it still hangs in the 2nd counter-clockwise rotation.
- also, as I said, if you adjust the Pass Extension on "Pocket_3D004", it changes when it hangs. At -2.5 mm, it will complete as expected. At, i.e., -4.5 mm, it will hang sooner in the sim.

It just stops, and thinks and stops responding and eventually I close it. Longest I've let it run for was probably about 20 minutes?
System resources are not tapping out, either - FreeCad hangs out at about 22% CPU.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23721 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4c323a63258b94903290fb23426be240c8663950
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Again, thank you very much for any help!
Attachments
file for posting.FCStd
(454.91 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

charlitron1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:05 pm Did you look at with the inspection tool at het G-codes? Just to rule out that it is the simulation.

I'll be honest, I am a novice - I looked at the g-codes and I couldn't see anything that looked "off" but that is saying very very little.
I didn't mean to check all the G-codes manually. In the "Inspect G-code" window you can mark the G-code lines and you will see the highlighted corresponding path in 3D view. I use that with marking from the beginning as a wonderful replacement for the simulator.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

charlitron1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm I updated to the latest version I think and still no dice (hangs in exactly the same place.
As I feared, your file is a complete disaster. You have freely mixed Part WB operations with Part Design WB operations. There are many, many errors in the linkage between operations.

I too got the "hang" when trying to simulate. I suspect that has little to do with the Path WB, per se, but is related to the broken model.

Here is a snapshot of the Dependency Graph. All those red connecting lines indicate illegal links.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (67.05 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Someone may want to try to help you fix some of the errors, but it seems to me that the only real option is to start over and work in a single WB. The overall shape looks doable in either Part WB or Part Design WB. My choice would typically be Part Design.

Gene
charlitron1

Post by charlitron1 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm
charlitron1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm

I didn't mean to check all the G-codes manually. In the "Inspect G-code" window you can mark the G-code lines and you will see the highlighted corresponding path in 3D view. I use that with marking from the beginning as a wonderful replacement for the simulator.
Ah, are you talking about how when you click on a line in the g-code it will highlight the path?

Yes, I looked at that, and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 lines where the hang occurs, but I don't really know how to use that to solve the problem.

Also, I'll admit I don't even really know how much of a problem this is (like I said I'm brand new to this!) what might the sim hanging mean re: the g-code? I guess I've been assuming that there's a chance it means there's a problem with the path...
charlitron1

Post by charlitron1 »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:13 pm
charlitron1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm I updated to the latest version I think and still no dice (hangs in exactly the same place.
As I feared, your file is a complete disaster. You have freely mixed Part WB operations with Part Design WB operations. There are many, many errors in the linkage between operations.

I too got the "hang" when trying to simulate. I suspect that has little to do with the Path WB, per se, but is related to the broken model.

Here is a snapshot of the Dependency Graph. All those red connecting lines indicate illegal links.

Capture.JPG

Someone may want to try to help you fix some of the errors, but it seems to me that the only real option is to start over and work in a single WB. The overall shape looks doable in either Part WB or Part Design WB. My choice would typically be Part Design.

Gene

Ok, hey, first of all, thank you very much lol I really do appreciate you taking the time! Genuinely.

And I'm happy to start again! I guess I need to do some more reading about the fundamentals. To be honest, I didn't realize jumping b/w different workbenches would cause problems.

Thanks again!

Update:
A bit more info - I looked at my dependency graph (I didn't know about this before, so thanks for that too). Aside from the issues there, it made me realize that I hadn't even added the secondary solid that I'm using for the base geometry in my broken 3dpocket as a model in the Job. So, I made a Simple Copy of that piece, added it in as a model, and... same exact issue.
I guess I need to ask - does creating simple copies for use as models in the path WB fix the issue of those pieces being composed of bits made in Part and PartDesign?