FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Haides

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Haides »

Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm I do like the idea of adding a new logo, but I think there are more pressing issues. Mostly an overhaul of the actual UI. Several contributors are working on this already (e.g. st_phan's Work on modern icon theme or HakanSeven12's Modern UI). These updates are the ones that need a lot of attention and contribution.

As others have pointed out, changing the logo impacts a lot of different things. I'd say that it should be a part of a much bigger push to update the UI. If you want to have an impact don't just create pretty logos. Contribute to the actual code, create concepts for alternative UIs etc.
Its easy to point out the obvious, nobody said that FreeCAD just need to change the logo.
Its the logo, the UI, Icons, build a team to maintain it better and update it more often, running forward, not catching up.
Blender is example, should take some notes from them..
Cyclonit

Post by Cyclonit »

Then instead of complaining get up and do the actual work. FreeCAD is an open source project and you are not a paying customer. None of the contributors are required to work on the project and you are not entitled to demand changes. All of the points that you addressed are well known. Repeating them over and over again, trying to blame the team who built an amazing piece of software and essentially accusing them of incompetence is in no way, shape or form helpful. Blender managed to pick up speed after several new contributors stepped up and started contributing code, graphics etc. Not because people joined the forum and demanded that others do the work for them.
Haides

Post by Haides »

Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:38 pm Then instead of complaining get up and do the actual work. FreeCAD is an open source project and you are not a paying customer. None of the contributors are required to work on the project and you are not entitled to demand changes. All of the points that you addressed are well known. Repeating them over and over again, trying to blame the team who built an amazing piece of software and essentially accusing them of incompetence is in no way, shape or form helpful. Blender managed to pick up speed after several new contributors stepped up and started contributing code, graphics etc. Not because people joined the forum and demanded that others do the work for them.
You are being contradictory, I told YOU exactly what Blender managed to do it, and that we should try to do similar.
And I told You to stop telling the obvious, and concentrate on strategy, if you want, if not, who cares..
Iam not blaming the team, im here for reason, i can use any other CAD. Do not try to twist what i said.

Yes I can demand whatever I want and think should be done, its called free software, freecad, free speech..
derei

Post by derei »

Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:38 pm Then instead of complaining get up and do the actual work.
I looked over your posts. And like you, are many: big talk and no deeds. I see no active contribution or proposal coming from you, but I see attitudes like "you are not entitled to demand changes". I'm not sure you understand what is happening here. Nobody demands changes, in fact nobody demands anything. Is all this is a call to action, but I doubt you can understand this.

As it was mentioned earlier, all this is a complete mess (not my words, but I agree with them). And the mess is because of such attitudes. Do you think people here don't know wha is FC and how it' been developed?? I find it extremely rude from someone who had no active contribution on the forum in general and on this thread in special to come and accuse people who want to do something.

As @Kunda1 said: "Alone we go faster, together we go farther". What we are trying here is to make a "together", to figure out few people determined to come up with coherent proposals. Please join this venture, rather than criticize it. Perhaps UX/UI design isn't your thing, but I see you have been discussing about automated builds...

Anyway, I suggest that we return to what this thread is about: Logo/Icon Design. There are few interesting proposals already. I'll try to come with some other proposals too.
derei

Post by derei »

Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm I do like the idea of adding a new logo, but I think there are more pressing issues. Mostly an overhaul of the actual UI. Several contributors are working on this already (e.g. st_phan's Work on modern icon theme or HakanSeven12's Modern UI). These updates are the ones that need a lot of attention and contribution.

As others have pointed out, changing the logo impacts a lot of different things. I'd say that it should be a part of a much bigger push to update the UI. If you want to have an impact don't just create pretty logos. Contribute to the actual code, create concepts for alternative UIs etc.
As you can see, different tasks have their own forum threads. This one is about LOGO DESIGN. So, for anyone posting here, the most pressing issue is the logo.
Several contributors are working on other aspects, yes... aspects to which you are welcome to contribute in a constructive manner. And if you believe that you would rather offer your attention and contribution to those aspects, by all means do so!
Please remember the title of this thread, next time when you post here: FreeCAD Logo Design

P.S. If you want to have an impact don't be dismissive to other people's efforts, but find ways to contribute. Not all people are programmers.
Cyclonit

Post by Cyclonit »

I moved my responses to the non-logo related stuff to PMs. Carrying on with the issue at hand:
Perhaps UX/UI design isn't your thing, but I see you have been discussing about automated builds..
I am not a UI designer but I do have some experience in UX. Putting it simply, I am certain that the actual user interface has a much bigger impact on the user experience than the logo does. We are talking about a CAD software and not some fancy 5 page mobile app. A nice logo doesn't have any significance to a user who is testing FreeCAD for their first time. The logo being steps ahead of the actual UI might even shed a negative light on the project as it is a (common) mistake in corporate designs.

More importantly to the matters at hand, I do have a lot of experience in project management. Which is exactly why I advocate to tackle the more challenging issues (like updating the icon sets or switching to a more modern UI) first. Proposing and voting on new Logos is good and necessary. But focusing lots of peoples attention on that issue takes power away from bigger tasks. I would also argue that designing a new logo without having any idea what the new UI is supposed to look like, can result in a logo that ultimately doesn't fit the new UI or a UI that is constrained by trying to have it match the logo. Both aren't desirable outcomes.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Everything yousay is probably more or less correct. There are more important things to do than creating a new logo. As a project manager you would just say what people should do first. And they would be payed for that.
Here the situation is different: It is a combination of doing something that may help. The payment is fun, satisfaction, following a helper syndrome, or whatever. What is important is that they are involved. And it is not really stupid for a newbie - and let me take the freedom to call people with some 50 posts or less still newbies - to start with something isolated as a logo. As long as the only pressure is intrinsic coming from great designs it is ok.
From my point of view a redesign of the icon set is as important as the logo: both currently serve their purpose very well, and both have room for improvement. If you talk about UI in general, there is much more to do, but it is a completely different game to change that, and for an excellent logo designer it may be not yet lie within his capabilities.
So sit back and wait for great logos, while you are tackling the things you feel are more important.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Asim

Post by Asim »

Since people have asked for the vector versions... I've attached the ones I've done here, including the file icons
FreeCAD_Logo_Icons.svg
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
FreeCad_Logo.png
FreeCad_Logo.png (31.91 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Regards,
Asim
derei

Post by derei »

Not badat all. Marching on the initial design and just refining it to bring it up to date!
I can say I like it.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

Let's capture some of the information in this thread to the wiki page.

Something to start with: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_project