Too short buttons in Draft panels?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Too short buttons in Draft panels?

Post by bitacovir »

Are these Draft panel buttons too short?
(DraftLine, DraftWire commands)
FreeCAD_2019-04-20_09-50-07.png
FreeCAD_2019-04-20_09-50-07.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Too short buttons in Draft panels?

Post by NormandC »

Same issue here, it's even worse in a different language (French) where words are longer; the default system font size is also bigger in Ubuntu than on Windows.
Attachments
FC_Draft_DWire_Tasks_fr_01.png
FC_Draft_DWire_Tasks_fr_01.png (46.21 KiB) Viewed 940 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Time for a refactor there I guess...
These limitations come from the time the Draft UI was a toolbar.. Some of you old-timers might remember :D
I guess now is a right time to make that toolbar mode obsolete (I don't think it even works anymore..) and have the task panel scale the buttons as it needs..
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm Time for a refactor there I guess...
Its probably time now, but its a little sad, a bit of history going. :)
yorik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm These limitations come from the time the Draft UI was a toolbar.. Some of you old-timers might remember :D
i sure do, I used to run the setting to keep using the old toolbar but sometime ago with a system update, I ended up with default FreeCAD settings again and i got used to the new way.... :)

I never noticed the buttons because for me, its only a small part of the first one missing, the rest appeared to be fine since they had shorter content.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:59 pm
yorik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm These limitations come from the time the Draft UI was a toolbar.. Some of you old-timers might remember :D
i sure do, I used to run the setting to keep using the old toolbar but sometime ago with a system update, I ended up with default FreeCAD settings again and i got used to the new way.... :)
It's documented in the wiki, but yeah, it's pretty much obsolete now Draft_Coordinates#Command_toolbar.

I think the concept of a "command toolbar" is not a bad idea, but it should work properly, which at the moment it doesn't because there are many more options in a typical "task panel". I think this stems from an older influence; I seem to recall Autocad had something like this, and Inkscape currently uses something similar (a toolbar that gives you different options depending on the selected tool).
I never noticed the buttons because for me, its only a small part of the first one missing, the rest appeared to be fine since they had shorter content.
If you use Draft or Arch a lot, it's noticeable, although it's not a huge problem of course; just one of those user interface improvements that could be done.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.