Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

Post by freman »

Hi, I often hit the wrong icon when wanting either parallel or equality constraints. The icons are not clear and too similar.

// is the same length to also suggests length equality.
= icon is two equal, horizontal and parallel lines, so not clear at all. In fact I would suggest this is based on the equals sign character rather than two lines displaying the property which it is supposed to represent. In the case of equating two radii, its form is not even pertinent.

I have shortened one leg of // which makes it a lot clearer, and have made = like a text char instead of like two sketch lines, since this makes it clearer what it is communicating. Hopefully this will stop me messing up my sketches, confusing myself and having to backtrack.

Could someone consider these changes for inclusion, or tear them apart?

BTW Inkscape automatically converted the FC 90 dpi to "new standard" of 96 dpi which is claimed to be better for computer screen compatibility. I just flag that in case it matters.

thanks.
Attachments
Constraint_Parallel.svg
(19.72 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Constraint_EqualLength.svg
(13.27 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Screenshot_sketch_icons.png
Screenshot_sketch_icons.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
triplus
Veteran

Re: Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

Post by triplus »

Taking a quick look, that looks like a bug to me.

P.S. If there is confusion involved, maybe having equity as it is now and parallel to be position vertically. That should clear confusion and wouldn't need a solution, where icons have different (color) style and look misplaced.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Maybe use a % sign for equality?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

triplus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 pm Taking a quick look, that looks like a bug to me.

P.S. If there is confusion involved, maybe having equity as it is now and parallel to be position vertically. That should clear confusion and wouldn't need a solution, where icons have different (color) style and look misplaced.
The = could come down a tad to be more visually balanced. It is deliberately a different style and colour because , unlike the other icons, it does not represent lines on a sketch: it's an equals character, not two horizontal lines.

I think the modified // icon fits in like it's always been there and is much clearer about what it stands for.
Last edited by freman on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:26 pm Maybe use a % sign for equality?
Maybe use and = sign for equality. ;)

I'm not sure that % conveys the idea of equality, it is usually and inequality, comparing something which is not 100 to 100.

While it is nice to have all the icons look similar, the aesthetic should not trump clarity and ease of use.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

freman wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm I'm not sure that % conveys the idea of equality
I understand. The idea for the icon came when I had an evil plan of converting the equality constraint into a ratio constraint. That is, the equality is just a ratio of 1.0
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If others like it i have no problems with that. But to me such solution looks like a bug introduced. And equality icon in my opinion doesn't leave much room for interpretation. It's standard sign for equality. Using some special signs, most people don't understand, that is a bad solution.

Long story short, you say you have a problem with the parallel icon. As you sometimes can't distinguish it from the equality icon. Therefore try to fix the parallel icon. Having one line slightly shorter, that is one option, but at 16px, there isn't all that much difference involved? As suggested, try the vertically aligned lines, and lets see the results. Or if you have a better solution, for the parallel icon, feel free to propose.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 pm The idea for the icon came when I had an evil plan of converting the equality constraint into a ratio constraint.
Better to leave the equality command as is and to introduce a new ratio oriented command. For such command indeed, using equality sign wouldn't make much sense. It has to have something in common with ratio.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Googling for "equality icon" reveals another option: a balance.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 pm
freman wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm I'm not sure that % conveys the idea of equality
I understand. The idea for the icon came when I had an evil plan of converting the equality constraint into a ratio constraint. That is, the equality is just a ratio of 1.0
that makes sense in that context and may be a useful tool. However, even if default was 100% that would mean two clicks and a mouse move to add an equality, which is far more commonly needed than a ratio. That probably means ratio is better as a separate tool. = is so current that it needs to be one click IMO.

I'm a little unhappy with the black = sign aesthetically but it needs to be obviously and equals char and NOT like two horizontal, equal, parallel sketcher lines.