Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

DeepSOIC

Re: Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

Post by DeepSOIC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:36 pm

freman wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 am
My problem with the icons is one-way. When I want equality, I don't think I ever clicked Parallel by accicent. However, wanting Parallel, I have hit that Equality button quite a number of times. So the most important part for me is to remove that "Parallel" association from the equality icon.

I up freman's proposed icons, they do the job.
triplus

Post by triplus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:52 pm

freman wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm
I'm a little unhappy with the black = sign aesthetically
Indeed. To me it currently looks like a visual bug introduced, and i could imagine sooner or later somebody will open a thread and propose a fix. That is all i am trying to say. Beyond saying that i am OK with whatever happens next. And maybe some other designers will propose some potential solutions.

P.S. In addition i doubt anything comes close to equity, compared to the equals sign. Balance sign, such as for example scale, that could indeed be a suitable option for a ratio command. But we are not talking about a ratio command, therefore best to discuss that part in the future, if there will be one.
freman

Post by freman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:55 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:28 pm
Googling for "equality icon" reveals another option: a balance.
Googling good idea. Though I don't think the balance clearly says equal length. I did this one which looks more like a keyboard = key.

I'm not going to spend any longer on this. It's a detail but in particular I think the // icon should be adopted to better differentiate the two.
Attachments
Constraint_EqualLength2.svg
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
triplus

Post by triplus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:13 pm

I took a quick look at your last proposal. If we would go down this path, as you have proposed, to differentiate them by using different colors. Your last proposal still has an issue on dark backgrounds, at minimum some outline would need to be added. But i guess lets hear some opinions from other people and designers first.
freman

Post by freman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:49 pm

OK,
I would probably round the corners if there is some agreement on using the = char version.

I just rebuilt with last svg and I don't see the black border anyway. Not sure why.
adrianinsaval

Post by adrianinsaval » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm

triplus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 pm
Taking a quick look, that looks like a bug to me.

P.S. If there is confusion involved, maybe having equity as it is now and parallel to be position vertically. That should clear confusion and wouldn't need a solution, where icons have different (color) style and look misplaced.
+1
freman

Post by freman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm

45 or vertical changes nothing of the ambiguity. The problem is solved for // by making them different lengths ( identical in "style" to the existing icon ).

The main issue is the big fat red lines = icon , since it looks like all the others which represent sketcher lines. The current = icon represents sketcher lines which are horizontal, parallel and equal. It is beautifully in keeping with the "theme" very ambiguous.

Maybe someone can come up with a more graphically cool alternative, but I think the aim should be present an "equals sign" not two sketcher lines.

To some extent it is "misplaced" because it does not follow the metaphor of the other icons.

That's it. So, this solution stays with the metaphor and hence look and feel of the icon set. I feel much more comfortable with this one, it fits in fine while addressing the UI issues. It now says "equal length". As an added bonus, it is also a better guide to what it does to a circle/arc. I was initially unsure what selecting two circles and hitting = would do : would make the centres positions and diams equal? Here the arrows equally represent two diameters being equated.
Attachments
Constraint_Length.svg
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Screenshot_sketch_icons2.png
Screenshot_sketch_icons2.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 414 times
triplus

Post by triplus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:09 pm

freman wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm
It now says "equal length".
More in line with the rest of the icons for sure, compared to the first attempt. Not sure about the arrows, though. On why only some icons would have them and on how much of a difference that makes at 16px?
45 or vertical changes nothing of the ambiguity.
Could you at least try it out and share the results? And lets see after, if any of the proposed solution can resolve the initial issue, by not leaving any loose ends.
freman

Post by freman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:43 pm

On why only some icons would have them
I took the ConstraintLength icon . That is the established icon for length. I made it horizontal to distinguish it from // , the fundamental aim, and to make a visual link to the form of = , ie now it reads: length+equal in the establish metaphor.
Could you at least try it out and share the results?
Your idea, you do your own leg work ;) I'm not hear to crank the handle.

Since | means vertical, || would suggest some link to that. Note the UI uses the 45 arrow to distinguish "any length" from a vertical or horizontal length. Thus my new // says: not horiz, not vert, not equal; but parallel.

And lets see after, if any of the proposed solution can resolve the initial issue, by not leaving any loose ends
I think this does address the the issue I raised and I do not perceive any loose ends, If you do please point them out.

If there is agreement to adopt this improvement, I will tweak the // to have slightly more difference in length and try to get = a little larger.
triplus

Post by triplus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:53 pm

freman wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:43 pm
Your idea, you do your own leg work ;) I'm not hear to crank the handle.
That actually is a fair point, but on the other hand, no, i don't plan to invest any more effort in this for now.

Good luck.