PartDesign Body Origin

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

vocx

Re: PartDesign Body Origin

Post by vocx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 pm

freman wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:27 pm
... However, I find the new icon for position rather unclear. I'm not sure that the coloured lines add any information. How about the three grey lines and the dot, without the extras? That is similar to origin but distinguishable from it.

With icons this small you can not afford to put too much in there. I don't want to have to lean forwards are peer at an icon to see what it is.
As I mentioned in the answer to chrisb, the icon that I made for App::Placement is based on how this object looks in the 3D view. Of course we can change it if people want. However, as I also pointed out, I don't know where this object is used; it seems that the user may never encounter it.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
vocx

Post by vocx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm

adrianinsaval wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:33 pm
The new icon for placemente to me looks more apropiate for the origin since it has axes and planes
I also like it for that, but maybe the classical icon is better to avoid confusing users.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
Zolko

Post by Zolko » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 pm

vocx wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 pm
I don't remember seeing it before. I wonder if it's used in one of the assembly workbenches, A2plus, Assembly3, Assembly4, or somewhere else.
you could have seen it here. There are several icons that can be used for an object that is supposed to look like a coordinate system:

Origins.png
Origins.png (40.13 KiB) Viewed 99 times
Attachments
PartDesign_CoordinateSystem.svg
(13.32 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Std_CoordinateSystem.svg
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
CoordinateSystem.svg
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Asm4_AxisCross.svg
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
vocx

Post by vocx » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Zolko wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 pm
...There are several icons that can be used for an object that is supposed to look like a coordinate system:
Are you proposing new icons or what?

Just for reference, pull request #2770 was merged.

This means now
* Std_CoordinateSystem.svg is used for the PartDesign_Body Origin. First in your picture.
* Std_Placement.svg is used for App::Placement. Second in your picture.
* The third picture I haven't seen. Is it a variation of the first one? Are you proposing it for something?
* Asm4_AxisCross.svg. Is this in Assembly4 or are you proposing it for Std_CoordinateSystem.svg or PartDesign?
* PartDesign_CoordinateSystem.svg wasn't touched. It stays the same. It corresponds to PartDesign_CoordinateSystem (datum object).