Smart restrictions in Sketcher

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

dcapeletti

Smart restrictions in Sketcher

Post by dcapeletti » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 am

Hello, in several commercial programs there is a kind of smart restriction. For example, I want to draw a rectangle centered on the axes, I draw it from the center for both sides and the symmetry constraint is automatic. I don't have to restrict by symmetry by pressing the symmetry command.

Then I want to dimension that rectangle and I have to go to the set horizontal distance command and then to the set vertical distance command, I have to use two commands to dimension. Couldn't you dimension from the same command and have the program understand which dimension I want? In other words, it should be sensitive to detect what dimension I want to delimit.

Now, if we want to restrict a circle, when we draw it or when we press on the shape, an option could appear to create a dimension of it. Perhaps you could list in a semitransparent box the dimensions that can be created for that shape and select one.

I know we have keyboard shortcuts, but I think I could improve production with a sketch option that enables "Smart constraints". It would save time for the designer.

I hope my request is understood. Thanks :)
openBrain

Re: Smart restrictions in Sketcher

Post by openBrain » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:31 am

I think your request is clear and easy to understand. The locking point is all about coding time and effort. ;)