jumping dimensions possible intermediate fix

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Szzer

jumping dimensions possible intermediate fix

Post by Szzer »

First of all i would like to thank for the amazing program freecad has become.

One of the most anoying things of Techdraw are the changing dimensions when a part is changed. It is quite hard, in case of a more complex model to find all the incorrect dimensions.

To a lesser extent this is also a problem with the CAD program I use daily, NX. NX has a quite nice solution though, which might also make Techdraw more pleasant to use.

Namely when the reference of a dimension changes in NX, it does not jump but instead is marked as "broken". it becomes a dotted line at the original location where it used to be. When this happens the references can be redefined by the user, and since the dimension is at the position from before it was broken, most of the time the references are very close to the dimension lines (redefining the references actually does not work very well in NX, so much for an expensive commercial product).

so the dimension goes from this : |<---------->| to: |< - - - >| but stays at it original position.

I don't know it somebody else also suggested this.

I have no idea how to code this, have no experience programming in FreeCAD . But I can imagine that if the dimension changes position by more than xxx pixels it breaks, or if a reference point changes position too much that it then breaks or something like that (There are surely more clever solutions to this I'm sure). and the user has to redefine the reference points.