Detail View in 0.19 remains empty and other entertaining issues

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M_W

Detail View in 0.19 remains empty and other entertaining issues

Post by M_W »

Greetings, me again.

I hope I'm not asking questions that have been answered a hundret times before, but the search bar hasn't brought me far.

So I've recently started using FC 0.19 and am working my way into its Tech Draw workbench. I'm getting some grip in it, but I've found yet another thing causing me issues: Detail views.
So I choose and activate a view on my page in the tree and add a detail view. It appears, shows a "1" at the source circle, and a "detail" under the output circle.
Now when moving circle "1" to the area I need the detail view of, the "detail" circle remains empty, no matter what setting I change in the HLR-parameters.

Report view shows me
"SE - Fusion failed
DVD::execute - Detail - detail cut operation failed (1)"

Is it an issue of FC 0.19 or is it probably the fact that I'm working with STEP214 files?
Where could I look?

EDIT: I'm running in more and more issues here, maybe I'm too much used to using Solidworks...

I'd like to make some annotations to my drawings, specifically: I'd like to add several arrows that all meet one line that holds the annotation text, so, for example, I don't have to write the description of the hole four times when they all are the same sort of hole and sitting close to each other.
Is there a way to create such an annotation or maybe just to add single arrows pointing to where I need the tip?

And another issue I've run into: I can't display hidden lines in my drawings.
I tried selecting the view I want the hidden lines displayed in and set all properties to "true", be it "Hard Hidden", "Smooth Hidden", "Seam Hidden" or "ISO Hidden", no change did a thing to the drawing, I still don't have the dashed lines I'm loking for.
It worked fine in FC 0.18.4, but to be able to use my custom drawing template, I had to upgrade to FC 0.19.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience with me!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Detail View in 0.19 remains empty and other entertaining issues

Post by wandererfan »

M_W wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:37 am Report view shows me
"SE - Fusion failed
DVD::execute - Detail - detail cut operation failed (1)"
I thought I sent answer to this earlier this morning, so you may get this answer twice.

Is it possible to post/PM the file? Much easier to figure out with an example. If ShapeExtractor can't fuse the input into a single shape, then my first guess would be bad geometry in the input.
Is there a way to create such an annotation or maybe just to add single arrows pointing to where I need the tip?
TechDraw_LeaderLineLeaderLine will draw an arrow.
And another issue I've run into: I can't display hidden lines in my drawings.
I tried selecting the view I want the hidden lines displayed in and set all properties to "true", be it "Hard Hidden", "Smooth Hidden", "Seam Hidden" or "ISO Hidden", no change did a thing to the drawing, I still don't have the dashed lines I'm loking for.
It worked fine in FC 0.18.4, but to be able to use my custom drawing template, I had to upgrade to FC 0.19.
You're changing the HLR parameters in the property editor, correct? Changing them in preferences won't affect existing views.

Right click on the View in the tree and select "recompute object". Changes in the property editor don't always get reflected immediately in the View.

Other things to check would be the setting for hidden line width ("view" tab in "lines" section) and the hidden line colour preference ("General" tab in preferences).

Let us know how you make out.
M_W

Post by M_W »

Is it possible to post/PM the file? Much easier to figure out with an example. If ShapeExtractor can't fuse the input into a single shape, then my first guess would be bad geometry in the input.
one of the three files I'm having this issue with is added to this post.
Maybe that'll help you help me figure out what's wrong.
I created a test part in freecad 0.19 rev. 20310 and made a test drawing to check wether the issue remains. Adding a detail view here works just fine, so I assume it has to do with the other files being step214 files, instead of freecad files.

TechDraw_LeaderLineLeaderLine will draw an arrow.
Thanks, I'll try that =)

You're changing the HLR parameters in the property editor, correct? Changing them in preferences won't affect existing views.

Right click on the View in the tree and select "recompute object". Changes in the property editor don't always get reflected immediately in the View.

Other things to check would be the setting for hidden line width ("view" tab in "lines" section) and the hidden line colour preference ("General" tab in preferences).

Yes, I'm changing things in the property editor.
I've just noticed opening one of the other two files (I assume it would work with all three) in the same version of FreeCAD, but not on my Desktop PC but on my laptop, I see hidden lines as dashed lines, just as I want them.
So I should put the two computers side by side and compare the preferences...
Attachments
3 - SW Neu - Sitzflächenbügel Innen.STEP
(222.04 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

M_W wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm
The step file has geometry problems. OCC doesn't deal with that at all well, especially for boolean operations, which is how we make the detail shape.
3SWGeomErrors.png
3SWGeomErrors.png (85.5 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
I don't deal with step files much, but I know some people that do. They might be able to help sort out the geometry.
easyw-fc wrote: help please!
freecad-heini-1 wrote: help please!
M_W

Post by M_W »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 pm

So, turns out ,I'm somewhat an idiot.
Placing both computers side by side and comparing the Tech Draw preferences I realized, there's an option to set, how hidden lines should be displayed by default. It was left empty. Changing that to "dashed", and my problem is solved.

I would suggets though to not make this an option buried this deeply into the preferences, but rather just add the option to the HLR parameters in the Data tab.
I would not expect this to be a possible setting, especially not when I see an option making it easy to change wether I see hidden lines or not.
So to speak, cut the option in the general TD preferences, but add it to the HLR Parameters, where we can already choose to either show or hide the hidden lines.
I know the options in the data tab are 1 and 0, and I do not understand much of programming, so I wouldn't know if this is possible. In general, hidden lines are shown as dashed lines, so it should probably just be the HLR Parameters without any other preference to set.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

M_W wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:11 am In general, hidden lines are shown as dashed lines, so it should probably just be the HLR Parameters without any other preference to set.
Once upon a time, there was a "calm, reasoned discussion" (!) about dashed line vs continuous for hidden lines. We finally said here's a preference, do whatever you want.
M_W

Post by M_W »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 pm
Once upon a time, there was a "calm, reasoned discussion" (!) about dashed line vs continuous for hidden lines. We finally said here's a preference, do whatever you want.
If this has already been settled, I'll go with it. Now I know what to look for :-)