Best practice: fuselage + wing

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hammax
Veteran

Re: Best practice: fuselage + wing

Post by hammax »

… you must look into the Data Tab for trimming the parameters and playing with them.
CurvesWB is experimental and ChrisG has a lot of "eastereggs" in, therefore this WB is very surprising.
The "shadows" of triangulation relicts can be reduced in View Tab by choosing a smaller refinement value.
The multicolor wireframe is something weird and I see no use.
Sweep_2_rails has also some tuning tools (point, frame, wireframe.., number of frames …) in View Tab.
You get it by experimenting. There is no manual, only forum posts - you're already gathering and linking.
Learning by doing and I hope this tutorial thread will help ...
Attachments
Kitesurfer.FCStd
FC.18.15521
(136.04 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
soaring

Post by soaring »

Thank you, i've updated links index of this thread with these two lines :

Gordon surface (1/2) | https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=29632
Gordon surface (2/2) | https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=32335

i'm reading... :-)
soaring

Post by soaring »

Ok, Gordon surface is a huge step forward and seems to have important fix from november.

is someone can update the seagull file with an exemple on how to use it to create the wing (currently two method used : sweep and sweep2rail) : https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/file.php?id=73731

I understand concepts (from far far away) but didn't found post about how use it (it did some click with freecad freeze...)

Thank you !
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

This the surface made by Gordon. Both surfaces seems to be very close. Im unable to tell where are the differences. Im just a casual user. :roll:
Attachments
WingGordon.FCStd
(97.07 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.61 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
soaring

Post by soaring »

whoa, so cool, thanks !

i've just played with compbound object (didn't use before) and try to do some basics gordon surface test with sketch lines as path, but freecad go in infinite loop...

i need to test again with approximation curve, behind there are DWire objects, can you tell me how do you connect the two DWires to the 4 sketch profiles (maybe i missed a step) ?

So i need to rise up my learning curve on your sample, my next step will to closes sketch foil to get a solid, and if it does not work, test the "make a parametric solid from selected faces" tool of the curvesWB (green cube icon).

thanks a lot for your help, i'll give it a try on tomorrow !
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Just a small reminder that for surfacing there is also the Silk WB
soaring

Post by soaring »

Thank you ! i didn't be aware of this workbench !

Serious work, with a good development plan ! But as i understand (with my little knowledge, please correct me) :

There are 3 workbench dealing with surface / nurbs... :

- Silk
- Nurbs
- Curves

I will simplify but my feeling is : Silk work on sort of matrices with dedicated number point at design, Curves try to set parametric method with dynamic algo (Gordon) and Nurbs dealing wth all possibilities of OCC library, with personal method / solution implementation.

For me Nurbs seems too difficult to learn, Curves needs some tools deletion and gordon method improvements, i think silk could be a good set of tools but dont know if it can provide simple fuselage / wing design with parametric evolution in mind.

I'm a newbie and definitively don't have mathematics skills to understand all the backend implementation, it's just a feeling, surely wrong but let me ask an open question :

have you ever think to lead a brainstorming about merging work of these 3 workbenchs ?

Maybe conception and goals are too far from each other, but question is in my mind :-)

thank you for your feedback !
soaring

Post by soaring »

/!\ Github repository available /!\

i've just created a Github repository to simplify work on Template / Implementation method / test : https://github.com/soaring-community/freecad-pattern

i've uploaded previous files posted by hammax and GlouGlou, it's under GPL3, set by default because need a licence but didn't take time to care about MIT/BSD/Mozilla/GPL content, free in mind with latest version, so GPL3, if you want to change later let me know.

I've also updated the first post of this thread to set reference to the repo. asso : i've added you in the contributor list :-)

asso : do you think it's possible that update the seagull template with a wing done with the silk workbench (by adding a dedicated folder in the file) ?

it could be the opportunity to warmup de git repo :-) and after add some screenshots in this thread :-)
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… my recommendation:
Don't cling to the wing-example its only a brainstorming starter (at least 1 1/2 year old, when no Gordon Surface was available).
Silk is very special and fits more into cardesign.
Nurbs is overloaded and fit for complex freeform, terrain modeling and something like that (and has its difficulties with Windows,
because it is developed under Linux).
CurvesWB and PartWB (eventually PartDesignWB) have the potential for aero-and hydrodynamic bodies.
In CurvesWB there are a lot of tools for handling 3D surfaces. And I think/hope there will be more.
Sweep_2_rails is older and more complex than Gordon.
soaring

Post by soaring »

Thanks, ! Got it ! aero and hydrodynamic bodies design => goal !
Gordon will be my new friend, and i will don't cling to the seagull's wings :-)

Here we go !