Cylinder head - Months in the Making

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Celica_Supra

Cylinder head - Months in the Making

Post by Celica_Supra »

Hi All;

Made a cylinder head tutorial from start to finish on YouTube, can be accessed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCAmkGY ... e=youtu.be

Can be downloaded here:
https://grabcad.com/library/freecad-cyl ... ory-tree-1

Between developing this in the first place, modeling it all over again to be recorded, compiling the video, this has taken months and is by far my largest video to date.

Thanks to everyone in this community who, I"m sure, help me more than I help anyone else.
Attachments
Photo 2.png
Photo 2.png (775.59 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Photo 1.png
Photo 1.png (406.72 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cylinder head - Months in the Making

Post by chrisb »

What a huge task!
Are you interested in some comments?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dorantor

Post by Dorantor »

This looks very cool! Thank you for sharing!
Celica_Supra

Post by Celica_Supra »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:11 pm What a huge task!
Are you interested in some comments?
Hi chrisb - absolutely. I'm sure a 'birds eye view' would be helpful. Particularly, I don't use other workbenches like part or draft to their potential and would love some input with respect to those.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Celica_Supra wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:09 pm Hi All;

Made a cylinder head tutorial from start to finish on YouTube, can be accessed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCAmkGY ... e=youtu.be

Can be downloaded here:
https://grabcad.com/library/freecad-cyl ... ory-tree-1

Between developing this in the first place, modeling it all over again to be recorded, compiling the video, this has taken months and is by far my largest video to date.

Thanks to everyone in this community who, I"m sure, help me more than I help anyone else.
Whow, over 4 hours of video constructing a complex cylinder head. The designer and Freecad work well together. It is nice to see that it is possible to do such tasks with Freecad. Could it be that you need a new PC with faster hardware? From time to time Freecad turns grey and needs time to calculate. With a fast hardware, designed for CAD, it goes smoother.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Celica_Supra wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 am Hi chrisb - absolutely.
I could watch only 1/2 hour, then the video didn't continue. It is impressive how fast you get using the keyboard hot keys. Here we go with the comments:

We usually recommend not to attach sketches to faces, but rather attach them to principal planes and use Expressions, or to DatumPlanes; but in the end you can use what works. Did you have any issues that you had to rework things when changing things from earlier development steps? Or didn't you have to change anything after it was finished once?

At 4:20 I would recommend a symmetry constraint instead of using these two construction lines.

At 5:30 it is not nessesary to have this construction circle at all. The arcs having the same center and a coincident point on the arc itself serve already the same purpose.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Woah! This is a beast of an undertaking! Thanks Joko/@Celica_Supra!
I agree with @chrisb the key shortcuts really speed things up, and go further that keyboard shortcuts would further augment FC for sure
issue #1756 Show all currently assigned Keyboard Shortcuts with commands as list
issue #2794 Enable "document window" (flat lines, wireframes, points, shaded) for keyboard shortcuts
issue #3086 CTRL key during line operation increase the snap active area such that it is easy to match points
issue #3576 Orthogonally restrict dragging of geometry in Sketcher (invoked by pressing ctrl or shift or ctrl+shift)
issue #3786 Ability to cycle between selectable objects (using a keyboard shortcut)
issue #3942 Using "Tab" to cycle thru properties, go up to the first once we get to the last.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Impressive work!
Celica_Supra

Post by Celica_Supra »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 am
Celica_Supra wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 am Hi chrisb - absolutely.
I could watch only 1/2 hour, then the video didn't continue. It is impressive how fast you get using the keyboard hot keys. Here we go with the comments:

We usually recommend not to attach sketches to faces, but rather attach them to principal planes and use Expressions, or to DatumPlanes; but in the end you can use what works. Did you have any issues that you had to rework things when changing things from earlier development steps? Or didn't you have to change anything after it was finished once?

At 4:20 I would recommend a symmetry constraint instead of using these two construction lines.

At 5:30 it is not nessesary to have this construction circle at all. The arcs having the same center and a coincident point on the arc itself serve already the same purpose.
Thanks! Agreed it was right when finishing up this video prior to uploading someone left a comment on the channel that also suggested datum planes. I would like to make a large model with and without datum planes and see what the rebuild difference is.

Hopefully you'll see I use the symmetry constraint a lot later on - Sometimes I'm still thinking in terms of other platforms and forget about the symmetry constraint and how much time it saves.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Celica_Supra wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 am Hopefully you'll see I use the symmetry constraint a lot later on - Sometimes I'm still thinking in terms of other platforms and forget about the symmetry constraint and how much time it saves.
I had seen that you used symmetry before, so this was rather a comment for others who take it as instructional video.