Need help with Draft tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
vocx

Re: Need help with Draft tutorial

Post by vocx » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:55 am

Gravydog wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:20 pm
... I looked over all the settings and nothing jumped out at me as a possible cause but then I'm not that familiar with all the choices....
The Draft Preferences (Grid and snapping) have an option for "Always snap". If you uncheck this option, then you need to press a modifier key in your keyboard, by default the Control key, in order to activate snapping.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
Gravydog

Post by Gravydog » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 am

OK, thanks for the clarification on that. I am finding that the tutorials, though meant for beginners I assume, can be somewhat lacking in details. For instance, on this one it says you do have to have the Draft Snap Toolbar available but makes no mention of "Always Snap" being on which would have been easy to say.

Today I am at Adding Dimensions in the same tutorial and while I am managing to add them, no dotted lines are appearing showing what the dimension belongs to, when the example drawing at the top of the tutorial shows them. I have looked and looked for a setting in the dimension's data or view panels that would do this. Care to help me here? Thanks very much.

Rob
vocx

Post by vocx » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Gravydog wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 am
... I am finding that the tutorials, though meant for beginners I assume, can be somewhat lacking in details. ...
If you look at the history of the page, you'd see that the tutorial was mainly written in 2015 for 0.16. Since then it hasn't received many updates in content, other than minor tweaks.

The reality is that a lot of the pages in the wiki were created many years ago, and may be a bit out of date because they haven't received updates by the original authors. This is an issue with FreeCAD learning material, as the software is under constant development, and some options may go undocumented. The solution to this isn't simple. We basically need new users to stick around and become active members of the community so they can help with documentation efforts.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.