placement task dialog tutorial w/ audio

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

placement task dialog tutorial w/ audio

Post by TheMarkster »

In this video I show how to use the relatively new features provided with the axial spinbox, apply axial button, and selected points button.

phpBB [video]
vocx
Veteran

Re: placement task dialog tutorial w/ audio

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:11 pm In this video I show how to use the relatively new features provided with the axial spinbox, apply axial button, and selected points button.
I added your playlist to the video tutorials page. It seems to me you are missing video 04 and 13 in the playlist. Other than that, it looks like a pretty gentle introduction for beginners, so good job.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

vocx wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:33 am
I added your playlist to the video tutorials page. It seems to me you are missing video 04 and 13 in the playlist. Other than that, it looks like a pretty gentle introduction for beginners, so good job.
Thanks. I've added those to the playlist.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 am Thanks. I've added those to the playlist.
Can you fix the order of the videos as well. It seems they were added to the end.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

vocx wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:45 am
Can you fix the order of the videos as well. It seems they were added to the end.
Thanks again for the feedback. I've gone into youtube settings and changed the playlist default sort order to sort by date published (newest) as opposed to sorting by date added to the playlist. Let me know if this solves it for you. If not I can go in and remove them all from the playlist and add them back in to see if that corrects it. I found a setting that automatically adds new videos to the playlist, so hopefully that will prevent the issue of forgetting to add a new video to the playlist from happening again.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:30 pm ...Let me know if this solves it for you. If not I can go in and remove them all from the playlist and add them back in to see if that corrects it.
LOL. The list is whack. It's in reverse order; the first video is 015, then it goes down, second is 014, third is 013, etc. until it reaches 01, and then video 016 appears.

Maybe it's best to remove and re-add them all.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

It looks like the option to automatically add a new video to the playlist puts it at the end regardless of currently selected default sort mode. I will disable that option since it's easy enough to add a new video to the playlist while it is being uploaded. (assuming I do not forget to do it)

On the subject of sorting I was thinking it made more sense to have the newest video at the top as a convenience for returning subscribers who presumably have already seen the earlier videos. But maybe it's better to have them sorted oldest video first. The user can change the sorting to each his own preference in either case, but I for sure want them sorted in order whether that would be oldest first or newest first. So, I will remove them all from the playlist and add them back in one at a time in order from oldest to newest. Then, as I add new videos they will be added to the end, which hopefully will keep them in the correct order.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:25 pm ...
On the subject of sorting I was thinking it made more sense to have the newest video at the top as a convenience for returning subscribers who presumably have already seen the earlier videos...
I understand. That's up to you then. I was thinking from the point of view of the video tutorials wiki page.

I think most people who visit this page are new users to the program, so for them it's beneficial to start from the basics, and then progress to more complex models. But sure, as long as the videos are in ascending or descending order, it's easy to find the first one in the series.