Separator design

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

MarkB33

Separator design

Post by MarkB33 »

Hello

I am a new Freecad/CfdOF user.

First of all, thanks for all of the effort you and your co-workers have put into the FreeCad/CfdOF software. It is unbelievable to me that this resource is available at no cost. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

I work in the oil and gas industry and have done a lot of work on separation equipment, ie. gas-liquid and 3-phase (gas-oil-water). There are some aspects to separator design/performance that I have been unable to quantify due to lack of access to CFD software. Now I have it thanks to FreeCad/CfdOF. I was hoping there would be a “sub-forum” dedicated to CFD for separator design but I haven’t found this if there is. Actually, surprisingly little on separators at all.

Below (attached) is a sketch of my gas-liquid separator.

At this point I am not trying to model both the gas and liquid phases (maybe try this down the road), just trying to visualize the gas flow thru the separator. A key issue in separator design is velocity distribution thru the equipment. In a vessel like this, gas-liquid separation performance is highly dependent on gas velocity at various locations from the inlet feed pipe thru to the outlet.

So far, I have had the most luck putting this together using “primitives” I guess you call them, from the Part workbench. Lot’s of trial and error, watching Youtube videos, tutorials, etc. I had originally started with the Part Design WB after watching Pawel Lojek’s heat exchanger tutorial. I struggled with this for quite a while. The Part WB has worked better for me.

Of course this is a big subject and I’m happy to peck away with trial and error and scouring the internet. I just wanted to clear up a couple of things and avoid wasting too much time:

1. Am I on the right track based on what I’ve explained that I’m trying to do ?
- The Part WB is fine for constructing my geometry ?
2. What about the meshing tool ? I’ve watched Pawel’s tutorial and Michael Hindley’s tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A9GewANqh8 and they both used cfmesh, so this is what I used. My first simulation (base case) did not have the inlet diverter plate and seemed to run fine. Then I put in the inlet diverter plate (shown in sketch below) and when I reran the simulation I was surprised to see that the results in Paraview looked like the inlet device wasn’t even there ! Then I found this post of yours (below) which says “cfMesh doesn’t support baffles and internal regions” ! I guess this is my problem ? Also, I have tried to model my mist extractor as a “porous” zone. I think I did it right, but again, based on your comment, I’m wondering if cfMesh is ignoring this also ? I think I’ve got the Darcy-Forchheimer coefficients figured out for defining the mesh pad/porous zone. Can you point me to any more info on this area ? – I couldn’t find much on the forum, tutorials, etc. I have got some info on this subject from a couple of other sources though.
3. When I delete the CFD Analysis container and try to redo things with snappyhexmesh or gmesh I get error messages when I try to run the solver. In your note below you mention that there are tutorials for snappy and gmsh and that the geometry setup is different between these (and probably cfmesh as well ?). Can you point me to these tutorials ? Maybe I need to rebuild the geometry from scratch for these different meshers but if there are some tricks, would be good to know.
4. In the Part WB, are the “parts” solids or hollow ? Probably a dumb question but in some tutorials they are treated as solids in others, eg. Michael Hindley’s tutorial, they are “hollow” allowing flow thru them. Maybe for CFD applications they are treated as “hollow” by defining inlet, outlet and walls ?? I’ve seen tutorials where “pipe” has been made by using 2 cylinders then performing a cut, etc. Hindley’s video didn’t do this and I didn’t either. A bit confusing.
5. Are there any good CfdOF tutorials out there on separation equipment that you know of ?

Bottom line:

1. Is the Part WB ok for what I am trying to do ? CFD with vessel internals including a porous zone.
2. Which mesher should I be using ?
3. Guidelines for acceptable “residuals” for the solver and guidelines for achieving efficient (with acceptable accuracy) convergence ?

I am running the software on a Lenovo Carbon X1 – nothing fancy but seems to be working OK.

Thanks very much for any help.
Vertical separator - freecad.pdf
(64.89 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Olivercomments1.jpg
Olivercomments1.jpg (68.91 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
MarkB
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Separator design

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure about the intention of the image in your post. If you want to attract someones attention, you have to quote him as described here. It is common usage in the forum to use a fake quote containing nothing but a ping, such as
MarkB33 wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

MarkB33 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 pm ...
At this point I am not trying to model both the gas and liquid phases (maybe try this down the road), just trying to visualize the gas flow thru the separator.
A good starting point.
I had a look at your pdf. Can you give some dimensions of your model?

Aaah, and welcome to the forum! :)
Can you post your FC-file?
MarkB33

Post by MarkB33 »

thschrader

Attached is the FCStd file. This one has the mesh pad - modeled as a porous zone (I hope) - and the inlet diverter using cfmesh as the mesher (50 mm base element size, no refinements). I just ran it, seemed to go ok, but when I look at the streamlines on ParaView, looks like the flow is shooting straight across the separator as if the inlet device is not there, per my original post.
Separator dimensions:
ID = 1.5 m
L = 3.0 m (assumed liquid level to top head/shell seam)
Inlet & outlet nozzles are 400 mm ID
Mist extractor is 150 mm thick
The bottom flat face of the separator is my assumed liquid level.
After I built the geometry, I "fused" all the pieces together, which I think was the correct thing to do.
Operating pressure is 35 MPA.
Fluid density and viscosity are typical for a light hydrocarbon gas at this pressure and a "normal" temperature.
Inlet velocity is 5 m/s which is reasonable and results in an also reasonable plug flow gas velocity up thru the vessel and the mesh pad.

Thanks for any feedback.
Attachments
Vertsep12simplediverter.FCStd
(85.61 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

You must subtract (boolean-cut in part-wb) the baffle-plate body from the tank to simulate
the inner plates. Then fuse the rest. Here is a fast run with air, no turbulence, no porous-zone.
separator_th.FCStd
(107.76 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
model.JPG
model.JPG (68.12 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
streamlines_U.JPG
streamlines_U.JPG (35.12 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
MarkB33

Post by MarkB33 »

Thanks very much, I'll try that.
MarkB33

Post by MarkB33 »

thschrader

I'm trying to follow your steps in the file you provided.
- Cylinder004 is used to generate a "face" using Facebinder to attach (slice operation ?) the horizontal plate part of the inlet device (internal diverter baffle) to the curved vessel (tank) inside wall ?
- Then you fuse this part with the vertical plate to get the total inlet device ?
- I'm not sure what "Exploded Slice" is supposed to be other than a grouping of the different pieces that compose the inlet device to keep things organized ?
- Under CutoutBaffleplate there are two objects shown: tank (the main vessel shell/cylinder) and baffle_plates. This is where you do the subtract/cut to simulate the internal diverter baffle per your posting. How is the "baffle_plates" object defined ? Is it just the combined components under Fusion in the tree ?
- Not sure what the difference is between Slice.0 and Slice.1.
- I guess I can add another cylinder in your supplied model, slide it up to the top of the shell and recreate my mesh pad with porous zone.
- It looks like your "model" object is a fusion of the various different pieces that is then used for mesh generation ?

Thanks again for your help and time.

If there are any good "separator-specific" Freecad/Cfdof tutorials out there - in addition to the two I mentioned in my original post - I would love to hear about them !
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

MarkB33 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 pm thschrader

I'm trying to follow your steps in the file you provided.
Dont worry about my model, that was quick and dirty. There are 100 ways in FC to model such a tank.
With your model I had problem to subtract the "common" from the tank. That can happen due to
same tangency of the bodies. I shifted the plates a little bit in +x-direction and used "slice" to avoid that problem.
For modelling techniques in FC you should ask the help-forum.
However:
Your separator case is the first one in this forum. I have found a video on YT, I think the guy uses interfom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pau3lPTfy0

Some help/training:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CubO ... 3RBKUoAOQQ
https://www.opensim.co.za/training.html
model.JPG
model.JPG (46.4 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
MarkB33

Post by MarkB33 »

Thanks again
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Here is a new model with porous zone and your boundary-conditions.
I had problems with cfmesh when including the cut-part. Thats why I made a copy (part-wb: make simple copy),
then fused all parts. In fusion, it is not necessary to include the porous-zone cylinder. You can select the cylinder
in mesh-refinement/porous-zone dialog.
For FEM/CFD you should use the newest FC0.19 development-snapshot from github:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre

About meshing:
For generating boundary-elements you must use cfmesh (see mesh refinement option ==> boundary-layers),
gmsh/snappyhexmesh are not supported (for boundary-layers)
separator_th_2.FCStd
(83.95 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
newModel.JPG
newModel.JPG (69.71 KiB) Viewed 2374 times