Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

For my project at university, i have created a model in ArchiCad, saved it as .ifc file and imported it into FreeCad. When i save this now as a FreeCad file and reopen it, all the walls are gone. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?
Also, when i import the .ifc file, not all the walls get imported. Does this mean FreeCad is not that good at working with .ifc files?
Thanks
Attachments
after_save.png
after_save.png (121.86 KiB) Viewed 899 times
before_save.png
before_save.png (119.42 KiB) Viewed 899 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: IFC File broken after save

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to IFC subforum
OP, heads up, you may want to consider using 0.19pre for any IFC/BIM related work (since it it orders of magnitude beyond 0.18.4)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
arch_studentin

Post by arch_studentin »

Thank you for the quick answer! I have installed the FreeCad Version 0.19, opened the .ifc file and saved it as FreeCad file. After opening, it was just fine and not broken like the one before. Also, there are no more walls missing, only one door, but that is not important for my project. Thanks again, you helped me a lot :D
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I am glad you could fix the problem you had.

Be aware there are two softwares invoved, the which exported the ifc and the one which imported the ifc. Each of them could be made misstakes or even both could make misstakes.

Another hint. A big well known software vendor name does not mean ifc-import and export works without problems. Any software around has its challages in this regard.

BTW. IFC development in FreeCAD and IfcOpenShell (the library FreeCAD uses to parse IFC) goes fast. Thus taking the latest version is mostly not a bad idea.

good luck with your church project.