LibPack 12.1.2/4 misses some executables

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
apeltauer

Re: LibPack 12.1.2/4 misses some executables

Post by apeltauer »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm I agree.
You could also update Python 3.x in a next step. We should maybe also upgrade from VC 2015 to VC 2017 to save maintenance work. I think only supporting 2 VC versions saves a lot of time. For this reason I killed VC 15 on my development PC.
Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019 are binary compatible. So no need to compile all from scratch. I used VC 2019 to build OCC and netgen...
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

Like i already mentioned, the fem workbench does not start anymore with occ 7.4. I still think it is because of the netgen stuff. I have compiled netgen (current master state, commit hash (538ca486fd07af0ca7ec77c4fdee3d6eb5950dd9)). But now i get some errors in the FC netgen support because netgen now requires c++17. So i tried to change to c++17, but now i get some other errors....
I have uploaded the netgen build https://github.com/apeltauer/FreeCAD/re ... ack_12.3.1 maybe someone with netgen skills can have a look at it...
wmayer wrote: ping
sgrogan wrote: ping
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:05 pm Many thanks!
While you are at it, could you please upgrade Qt to Qt 5.12.6? (I don't know if there are bugs in the current 5.12.1 but I think having the latest Qt 5 LTS version is a good thing).
I dont know if i have to compile pyside2 and all other gui stuff against QT5.12.6. So for now i would say we do it step by step.
You don't have to because Qt5.12.6 should be binary compatible to older 5.12.x versions because only implementations have changed but not the class interfaces.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:07 pm I could try it but first i need to know what needs to be done. The NSIS installer can execute external programs like E.g. CMake but I don't know how I can set up CMake automatically.
We should probably split this to a separate thread if your interested.
The installer wouldn't need to run CMake. The idea is that the Libpack could be installed as admin or user and I would make a pull request in master to add these default install paths to FreeCAD's CMake so the Libpack can be found automatically.
The second opportunity would be to allow the user to optionally install the extra stuff and better communicate and respect these extras licenses.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

apeltauer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 am So i tried to change to c++17, but now i get some other errors....
So you built nglib with C++17, and then FreeCAD with C++17?
I have zero netgen skills but will try. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the work @apeltauer :D , it's much appreciated.
"fight the good fight"
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm
apeltauer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:31 am So i tried to change to c++17, but now i get some other errors....
So you built nglib with C++17, and then FreeCAD with C++17?
I have zero netgen skills but will try. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the work @apeltauer :D , it's much appreciated.
Netgen was ported to C++17. I tried to compile it with C++14 but then i was getting errors.
Next step was to set C++17 "only" at at the netgen plugin. But then i received some errors while compiling the plugin.... I think some code changes are necessary...
ipatch

Post by ipatch »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:05 pm Many thanks!
While you are at it, could you please upgrade Qt to Qt 5.12.6? (I don't know if there are bugs in the current 5.12.1 but I think having the latest Qt 5 LTS version is a good thing).
I dont know if i have to compile pyside2 and all other gui stuff against QT5.12.6. So for now i would say we do it step by step.

Update:
The libpack is uploading right now
https://github.com/apeltauer/FreeCAD/re ... ack_12.3.1
The code change can be seen here
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2944
Apeltauer,

thanks for sharing this, i've experimenting with building freecad on macos using brew infrastructure, as I haven't messed around with setting up conda to build freecad yet, as i wanted to see if i could get things going with brew first.

I was running into the issue with the missing header file

brepmesh.hxx

and doing a quick search led me to this thread, so kudos for sharing.

I was able to compile the lastest netgen version on macOS without any problems, it does take a little bit to compile i'd ~ 30 minutes maybe if memory serves me correctly, (on a 2013 mbp) and when compiling finishes it produces a NetGen.app binary that can be run as a standard standalone mac app bundle. as i believe getting netgen properly setup is crucial for freecad to compile and get the FEM things going.