new FreeCAD intallation won't launch, error "api..." missing

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
mrdraftech

new FreeCAD intallation won't launch, error "api..." missing

Post by mrdraftech » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 pm

FreeCAD program installation on Windows 8.1 reads successfully completed but won’t launch. System error message appears, “The program can’t start because "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-11-1-0-dll" is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem”. Have installed the program 4-times to no avail. Is this a program defect or application truly missing from the computer (about 5-yrs old)? If so, how do I acquire the “api….” missing link? Thank you, very excited to learn this program.
vocx

Re: new FreeCAD intallation won't launch, error "api..." missing

Post by vocx » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 pm

mrdraftech wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 pm
FreeCAD program installation ...
You don't even mention which version of FreeCAD you downloaded. Try with the latest development version, v0.19. Download.

It should work in any recent Windows.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
sgrogan

Re: new FreeCAD intallation won't launch, error "api..." missing

Post by sgrogan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:17 pm

mrdraftech wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:10 pm
If so, how do I acquire the “api….” missing link?
These are system files. You have probably disabled your Win7/8 updates at some point.
This post shows how to fix your system https://support.microsoft.com/bg-bg/hel ... in-windows
Sorry I couldn't find the English page. I used Chrome browser to translate.

If this doesn't work post back and I can provide the files, but this is a total hack.
"fight the good fight"