compile for Windows from Linux and run in wine

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

compile for Windows from Linux and run in wine

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Guys
Have any of you ever compiled a Windows version of FreeCAD from within Linux?

Have any of you tried to run the Windows version within Linux via Wine?

I am wondering if I could do so in order to test how well something might work in Windows, for example those annoying SVG icons. :)

Jim
wmayer
Founder

Re: compile for Windows from Linux and run in wine

Post by wmayer »

Have any of you tried to run the Windows version within Linux via Wine?
AFAIK there are people using FreeCAD this way.
I am wondering if I could do so in order to test how well something might work in Windows, for example those annoying SVG icons.
That's not a Windows related problem but due to the use of a quite old Qt version. On Windows we are still on Qt 4.5 and there the SVG support isn't that good and that's why many of the icons are broken. So, as said in a post yesterday we have two options:
* create a new LibPack with a newer Qt version
* write a Qt plugin and use the Webkit engine internally to create correct looking SVG icons
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think you would have more luck installing windows in a virtualbox... I must do that too one of these days. But I'd be curious to see if it works with wine too...
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

I did run a Windows Version of FreeCAD on an actual Wine ca. 2 Month ago. It was just a fresh compile from that time. It did just run on Wine.

In Wine it did not show the errors I had with that version on Windows 7. (Problems with Arial-Font in Draft dimensions, which crashed FreeCAD on Windows 7, 32bit)

Ulrich
Magnus Johansson

Post by Magnus Johansson »

Hey, Jim and others,

I have just started running FreeCAD 0.13 in Mepis Linux 11 via Wine 1.7.15 (with Windows XP settings) and it worked fine to make some simple geometric examples. However, I am now, when reopening the file, unable to get my first document to show up in the Document pane; it seems like it gets opened in the Project pane but no view of it in the Document pane to the right in the program window.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Is there any reason why you are not using a native package? If there is none, compiling FreeCAD has got to be better than using that Wine bloatware. And it's pretty straightforward on Debian/Ubuntu, from what I understand Mepis is based on Debian stable.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

normandc wrote: And it's pretty straightforward on Debian/Ubuntu,
Disagree, it was pretty straightforward two years ago, when FC was a much simpler package. Today you have to meet dozens dependencies and resolve problems - coin60 vs coin80, pivy (internal or external?), shiboken (what it is? something about that japanese dog? ;) Finally, 20 min compilation...

From the other hand, I just tried install Freecad on Wine. Five clicks - done, ready to action! Cons: looks ugly, 130 vs 50 MiB RAM after start, inconvenient file navigation.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kwahoo wrote:Today you have to meet dozens dependencies and resolve problems - coin60 vs coin80, pivy (internal or external?),
Mepis is based on Debian stable, AFAIK it still has coin60 and the libraries are older so it should be a lot less troublesome. Yeah there are more dependencies, but what about it? I believe they're all listed on the CompileOnUnix page.

I still say compiling FreeCAD beats the hell of using Wine.
kwahoo wrote:Cons:
How about Wine takes 500MB to 1GB of disk space. Storage is cheap nowadays, still I dislike it.

Some time ago I decided I didn't want to deal with this Wine crap anymore, and I'm glad I did. ;)
Magnus Johansson

Post by Magnus Johansson »

normandc wrote:Is there any reason why you are not using a native package?
Hello, Normandc! The reason I installed the Windows version in Mepis Linux was that I wanted a later FreeCAD version than 0.10 from the Mepis repositories.
normandc wrote:If there is none, compiling FreeCAD has got to be better than using that Wine bloatware.
You sound almost as ranting as Dnyberg did. I suggest you write to Alexandre Julliard and inform him that he is managing a bloatware project. Wine is a great asset in my own and my colleagues' work. I am also the Swedish translator of Crossover, another very useful product built on Wine.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bloatware may not have been the best choice of word. I meant that it takes a huge amount of disk space. And honestly, it's a patch that ideally no one should have to use.

Why would I contact these guys when I don't need that software. How about YOU contact the Mepis people to inquire why they still have a 4 year old version of FreeCAD in their repo...