MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
User avatar
Sunoo
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am

MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Sunoo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 am

There was some back and forth on this on Twitter, before I was asked to post here: https://twitter.com/FreeCADNews/status/ ... 3074302977

The short version is that version 0.18 crashes immediately when right-clicking 100% of the time, and 0.19 just never launches at all. See the tweet thread for screenshots.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated thread title for more clarity
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 8378
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Kunda1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 am

Thanks for posting!
Could you paste your About info for 0.18 at least since you can load the GUI
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
chrisb
Posts: 27900
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by chrisb » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 am

Can you start from commandline when starting 0.19 and post the output here?
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 8378
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Kunda1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:30 am

chrisb wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 am
Can you start from commandline when starting 0.19 and post the output here?
The Twitter feed shows this produces nothing. It outputs the normal ascii FreeCAD message and then just hangs

Edit:
https://mobile.twitter.com/sunookitsune ... 0339727365
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
looo
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by looo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm

I guess this something related to the new version 11. There were already some issues reported for the current qt-build used with newer osx versions (10.15).

If I were dependent on a mac system I would:
1. try to install freecad via conda and see if it works, if not
2. try a minimal qt app and see if it works, if not
3. create an issue for conda-forge/qt-feedstock and ask @mingwandroid for help

I guess building qt and freecad (and eventually other deps of freecad) with a newer sdk version will solve such problems. At least there were some errors reported due to sdk mismatch.
User avatar
Sunoo
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Sunoo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 am
Thanks for posting!
Could you paste your About info for 0.18 at least since you can load the GUI
Here you go:

OS: macOS 10.16
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

And if it helps, here is the dump macOS displays after the crash: https://pastebin.com/D7AgWYqc
User avatar
Zolko
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Zolko » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 am

Sunoo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:51 pm
OS: macOS 10.16
Don't use anything after and including 10.15, it's crap, complain at Apple, THEY are responsible for it. THEY are crippling YOUR OS on purpose, and at the same time claiming how the greatest they are. You believed the hype, now live with it. Since the death of Steve Jobs they have lost the plot, there is nothing to be saved their anymore, they are only in the business to make hundreds of billions through tax evasion.

Code: Select all

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
User avatar
Sunoo
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 am

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by Sunoo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Zolko wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 am
Don't use anything after and including 10.15, it's crap, complain at Apple, THEY are responsible for it. THEY are crippling YOUR OS on purpose, and at the same time claiming how the greatest they are. You believed the hype, now live with it. Since the death of Steve Jobs they have lost the plot, there is nothing to be saved their anymore, they are only in the business to make hundreds of billions through tax evasion.
Thanks for providing your completely useless opinion about macOS, it really helps get to the bottom of the issue with FreeCAD.
leonard shelby
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:57 am

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by leonard shelby » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:17 pm

looo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm
I guess this something related to the new version 11. There were already some issues reported for the current qt-build used with newer osx versions (10.15).

If I were dependent on a mac system I would:
1. try to install freecad via conda and see if it works, if not
2. try a minimal qt app and see if it works, if not
3. create an issue for conda-forge/qt-feedstock and ask @mingwandroid for help

I guess building qt and freecad (and eventually other deps of freecad) with a newer sdk version will solve such problems. At least there were some errors reported due to sdk mismatch.
I also have mac os 11 and the last two 0.19 nightly builds are not working anymore. That said,
Version: 0.19.22358 (Git) is the last version that works like a charm.

It has to be some change since that git release that broke freeCAD on mac. I'm afraid I have no idea how to help find it. Other qt apps are working fine here as well.
User avatar
looo
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: MacOS 11 - v0.18 crashes on Right-Click / v0.19 doesn't even load

Post by looo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm

leonard shelby wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:17 pm
looo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm
I guess this something related to the new version 11. There were already some issues reported for the current qt-build used with newer osx versions (10.15).

If I were dependent on a mac system I would:
1. try to install freecad via conda and see if it works, if not
2. try a minimal qt app and see if it works, if not
3. create an issue for conda-forge/qt-feedstock and ask @mingwandroid for help

I guess building qt and freecad (and eventually other deps of freecad) with a newer sdk version will solve such problems. At least there were some errors reported due to sdk mismatch.
I also have mac os 11 and the last two 0.19 nightly builds are not working anymore. That said,
Version: 0.19.22358 (Git) is the last version that works like a charm.

It has to be some change since that git release that broke freeCAD on mac. I'm afraid I have no idea how to help find it. Other qt apps are working fine here as well.
possible qt update (qt5.12.5 -> qt5.12.9).

can you start the last working version and see which qt-version was in use. You can also check the versions by starting FreeCAD via command line. versions are printed in the terminal.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests