Linux AppImage missing

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Linux AppImage missing

Post by vocx »

jae wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:43 pm How often does the 0.19 app image update?
About once per week it is deployed automatically. It can be deployed manually by the maintainers if there is a problem, a dependency is broken, etc., as the case in this thread shows. So, if you update, say, every Monday, you should be fine.

On the other hand the Ubuntu daily package is released, well, daily (Install on Linux).

Or you may also wish to compile daily directly from the master branch (Compiling).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jae wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:43 pm As a new user, here is my one post!
Hello jae! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)

Yes this is a problem.
The way it works now;
The .AppImage is re-packaged from Conda assets created from here:https://github.com/looooo/freecad-feedstock
The Conda build is triggered manually, typically on Sundays, but not always, sometimes more frequently.
The Conda build is packaged into an .AppImage here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage
The FreeCAD-AppImage runs as a CRON job once a day. The deployed .AppImage may contain updates (for ex bundled Python packages) even if FreeCAD hasn't changed. Or it could be the same with a different hash.

I'm thinking we should disable the CRON job. This means someone needs to trigger the Conda build, wait a couple hours and trigger the FreeCAD-AppImage on Travis manually. It's probably possible to add logic to the process to skip it if FreeCAD hasn't changed. As a volunteer effort it ends up a little, band-aides and bubble-gum. Everyone contributes as their time, interest, and skill allows.
"fight the good fight"
jae

Post by jae »

@vocx, @sgrogan,

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I'm new to FreeCAD (or any 3d parametric modeler). I've been scouring the YouTubes and forums trying to come up to speed now that my oldest is a 2nd yr ME student in college (gotta keep up you know)! I'm an old *nix sw guy so I know how to compile :D. So far, I've modeled two pipe adapters and a raspberry pi 4b case. I do occasionally get segfaults when going in and out of a sketch task (mostly out) with the version I have from 21SEP.

thx.jae.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jae wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 pm I'm an old *nix sw guy so I know how to compile :D.
If your on Ubuntu or a derivative then I suggest the daily-PPA
If your comfortable compiling, its the best, you have the freedom to control everything.
"fight the good fight"
jae

Post by jae »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 pm If your on Ubuntu or a derivative then I suggest the daily-PPA
That is a great plan, keeps me on task learning modeling...

thx.jae.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 pm
jae wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 pm I'm an old *nix sw guy so I know how to compile :D.
If your comfortable compiling, its the best, you have the freedom to control everything.
Unfortunately the latest version of Ubuntu that there is a FreeCAD-daily PPA for is 19.10 and Ubuntu 20.10 is about to be released.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Paul G wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:09 am
Unfortunately the latest version of Ubuntu that there is a FreeCAD-daily PPA for is 19.10 and Ubuntu 20.10 is about to be released.
There are 20.04 daily builds.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:01 am
Paul G wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:09 am
There are 20.04 daily builds.
Thanks for this.
I don't know what I was looking at,but the release page I checked just before my comment still only showed PPA for Ubuntu 19.10
Or else I'm just going mad (or my browser is taking the piss)
:lol:
I was only using the appimage because I couldn't find the PPA