[bug/feature request] reasonable behavior for placement of Part Design clones

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: [bug/feature request] reasonable behavior for placement of Part Design clones

Post by realthunder »

If I understand correctly, you are requiring two very different feature. If you just want a 'clone' that have independent placement, but follows any geometry changes to the cloned object, you can use Link. If you want the 'clone' to follow the cloned object's placement, you can also use Link, but set its 'LinkTransform' property to True.

If you want to 'clone' and then modify, in other word, you want to create a variant of the object that follows the cloned object's geometry changes, you can use PartDesign BaseFeature. I understand that current PartDesign is very restrictive in this type of workflow. I am in the process of changing this. You will be able to use my SubShapeBinder to create variant in the future. And you can choose whether to follow the cloned object's placement or not.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: [bug/feature request] reasonable behavior for placement of Part Design clones

Post by Jee-Bee »

is your question also related to this?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 31#p325731