FreeCAD versioning scheme and possible evolution

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan

Re: FreeCAD versioning scheme and possible evolution

Post by sgrogan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:57 am

kkremitzki wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:26 pm
0.19.19697 should be 0.19~dev19697:
+! :D :D :D
triplus

Post by triplus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Note that we likely have the whole March, to figure it out. As for the last proposal by @kkremitzki. We could therefore prepend an additional string, like "dev", to the patch number, to make things even more clear. And i guess this would be future proof, if we ever decide to do releases like "beta". Currently we don't do that and likely we won't be doing that for a while. Still therefore such patch number is something to go behind a hyphen or a tilde sign. What the last proposal by @kkremitzki doesn't resolve is where to put the backport release number. Unless, as suggested, we start bumping the mayor number when doing a stable release and use the minor one for backport release number. Note that i plan to discuss this last part in another thread at the beginning of March. To not pollute this thread with such discussions.

I took a look for some reference in OCCT (Standard_Version.hxx) and they comment out:

Code: Select all

#define OCC_VERSION_DEVELOPMENT   "dev"
When doing a release, therefore "the bit" is set with a commit.
kkremitzki

Post by kkremitzki » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm

A version with the ~dev suffix will always be sorted lower than subsequent backport releases, i.e. 0.19~devXXX < 0.19 < 0.19.1 ...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan

Post by sgrogan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 am

Maybe we should consider this: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-044 ... le-release

At first reading it doesn't dictate what the version means, but it gives us a consistent version string, and we can define what each field communicates?