Covid19 openhardware solution (washable filter mask)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
calculix11

Covid19 openhardware solution (washable filter mask)

Post by calculix11 »

This is not final design but more like idea, based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

Freecad file
https://yadi.sk/d/9OgT54HXwnqSlw

There are some design problems with face contacting surface and also would be nice to make it parametric in freecad
Has 3 parts that can be molded from silicone - beer plug, nose and washable dust filter.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-23-56.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-23-56.jpeg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-25-53.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-25-53.jpeg (58.72 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Covid19 openhardware solution (washable filter mask)

Post by Kunda1 »

Super cool. Could you add a human face to demo it on somehow? From an ergonomic design point of view I'm wondering about visibility issues for the person wearing it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
calculix11

Post by calculix11 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:47 pm From an ergonomic design point of view I'm wondering about visibility issues for the person wearing it
This more like open idea now. There are some problems, for example I mentioned face contact. People who have 3d printer may turn it into final solution and probably even to fabrication. I will be first buyer in this case. I don't have a lot of time and ability to continue
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

Maybe worth taking a look at this post, as well:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p376723

VG m.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

calculix11 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm This is not final design but more like idea, based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

Freecad file
https://yadi.sk/d/9OgT54HXwnqSlw

There are some design problems with face contacting surface and also would be nice to make it parametric in freecad
Has 3 parts that can be molded from silicone - beer plug, nose and washable dust filter.
I saw the design before reading the text and i immediatly thought about the plague doctor... :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

How would that work ?

Historically, it was filled with herbs like romarin, but it had absolutely no real protection capacity against virus.

And how would you wash that thoroughly, with all the internal pieces ?

It is a cool design, but saying (as in the title) that it is a solution against Covid19... I don't think so.
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If masks are out, a proposal from a german TV series:
phpBB [video]
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:47 pm Super cool. Could you add a human face to demo it on somehow? From an ergonomic design point of view I'm wondering about visibility issues for the person wearing it
Made a rendering in Blender. Had to tweak a bit with the scale, but I think it is close enough.
mask-r1.png
mask-r1.png (434.01 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
cheers
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

jeno wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm cheers
Nice! I love the open source community :)

Yea, that looks like an issue, ergonomically. Plus issues with the maxillary bone area of the face protruding makes it difficult to achieve a perfect seal.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
calculix11

Post by calculix11 »

dxp.dev wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:19 pm How would that work ?
And how would you wash that thoroughly, with all the internal pieces ?
It is a cool design, but saying (as in the title) that it is a solution against Covid19... I don't think so.
It can''t be sold as medical device, because of the certificates and things like that. But as carnival mask will be ok. Internal part is removable and has washable labyrinth, it is pretty much standard engineering solution for dust collectors, separators and seals. It will definitely reduce individual risk even without phytoncides. But actually any mask don't give 100% protection because of many other ways how virus can get inside, not only airway
it is more like protection from person who wear mask, when you coughing and sneezing inside mask, not to handrails and other surfaces
Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:46 pm Plus issues with the maxillary bone area of the face protruding makes it difficult to achieve a perfect seal.
This was most complex problem for me, but I think that there is standard solution for this geometry and there are some sizes based on regular proportions.
jeno wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm
Made a rendering in Blender. Had to tweak a bit with the scale, but I think it is close enough.
I can see other problem now - beer hole is not on right place and angle.