Just wondering

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Just wondering

Post by openBrain »

drmacro wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:54 pm There are at least some of us native English speakers (many who are uni-lingual) who are envious of folks from other lands who speak, not only their native tongue, but English and more.
Great thing with uni-lingual English speakers is that it can lead to very funny things. :D
MSOlsen65 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:29 pm You and @chrisb make so few, that I thought you were native English speakers until you said otherwise.
Because you can't hear our nice accents. :lol:
I do admit, though, it is SO NICE to not have to deal with the bigotry here. Thank you all for making this such a welcoming place. :D
There is bigotry ! Just not based on your geographic location. :lol: :lol:
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

openBrain wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 pm
You always know how to make me smile and laugh my friend. I guess someday I shall have to take a holiday and visit just so I can hear your wonderful accent.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 pm Great thing with uni-lingual English speakers is that it can lead to very funny things. :D
:lol: :lol:
Good to see they knew enough French to not mess it up with a single letter by changing "notre" to "votre". It could have meant the end of business relations with France.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

MSOlsen65 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 am You always know how to make me smile and laugh my friend. I guess someday I shall have to take a holiday and visit just so I can hear your wonderful accent.
I think it's pretty easy nowadays to visit the whole Europe for an (only) English speaker. Northern Europe countries has for a long time been quite comfortable with English but it wasn't the case for Southern ones. It changed during the past 20 years and now it's IMO totally correct.
I like this video of guys at FOSDEM. Yorik as a typical French-like accent but I think that if a native would complain about his English (s)he would deserve to ... hmm ... (-- add your own cultural punishment here --). Oppositely I think Brad is doing an effort to keep his speaking flow rate at a reasonable level, but along with his quite neutral accent, it makes him really easy to understand for non-natives (which is greatly appreciable).
chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:03 am Good to see they knew enough French to not mess it up with a single letter by changing "notre" to "votre". It could have meant the end of business relations with France.
Yep. That's perfect French. Probably they ask a Quebecker. :mrgreen: :lol:
Maybe you could move this thread to open discussion as it has totally drifted
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

openBrain wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 pm Great thing with uni-lingual English speakers is that it can lead to very funny things. :D
Oh, I agree, on many levels. At one point I was at the home office of a past employer in Cambridge UK. I was at breakfast with the British owners and the murican VP (he was very trumpian, decades ago :cry: ). In an effort to impress the Brits, he decided to show off his command of British terms. He proceeded to tell the waitress that he wanted toast, eggs, and an order of wankers. The waitress made a noise like she didn't understand, so in typical murican style, he raised his voice and said the same thing again. Now she was huffed and the entire restaurant was snickering. :lol:
(For those not acquainted with British slang for...well, maybe we don't want that for the search engines to fine here. 8-) What he really wanted was bangers, or sausages 8-) )

Another time, a different VP, in Germany. We walked into a shop, he went to one side, I went to the other. The clerk spoke to him first, in German. VP replied in English, with an obvious attitude. The clerk continued in German, the VP raised his voice, repeated same words. This went back and forth until VP left in frustration. The clerk now addresses me. At the time I knew a bit of German, so I attempted to answer in German. The clerk looked at me and said, with an accent, "I speak English, how can I help you" :lol:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Open discussion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 pm I write pretty much in English, but I'm never sure when to set commas. Do you have a comprehensive guide with some basic principles?
Following The Chicago Manual of Style
is always a safe choice.

As for the error message, it sure looks like a case for a bulleted list.

Only the following selections are valid:
- one line
- one line and one point
- two points

Much easier with math notation.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:26 pm Moved to Open discussion.
Either no one has followed, I missed the link, or the great spaghetti monster of Zanadu ate it. :?: :o :?:
I could not find it in Open Discussion :oops:
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:20 am
chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 pm I write pretty much in English, but I'm never sure when to set commas. Do you have a comprehensive guide with some basic principles?
Following The Chicago Manual of Style
is always a safe choice.
As a programmer friend of mine (yeah even a guy like can have one friend ... :o ) would say, "The great thing about standards ... there are so many to choose from." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only the following selections are valid:
- one line
- one line and one point
- two points

Much easier with math notation.
Yes but which of the maths (Algebra, Linear Algebra, Discrete, DiffEq, ...) Pick your own poison with care. :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

This cracks me up. This is one of the more openly friendly threads I’ve seen on the forum and it was kicked off by a troll (and the subsequent flaming) :lol:

It’s a great read, too. I’ve always over-used commas, because keeping the rules straight in my head was too much. The Chicago manual of style reference is a good one to have, though.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers