Hardware advice

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fcaduser

Re: Hardware advice

Post by fcaduser »

Without knowing what you are planning to model, it's almost impossible to answer. An A380 ? A tooth-pick ? There is some discrepancy between the required hardware.
That said, I assure you that *very much* can be done with really modest computer resource.
And yes, use Linux, if you want to save your soul ! Hahahaha...
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:36 pm ...
I find it flexible, but incredibly clunky to use.
I assume you meant inflexible? 8-)

But, it sounds like a Fusion user talking about FreeCAD. :lol:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm ...
P.S. I don't recommend installing Linux right away on a new laptop because of warranty reasons.
Just don't buy a machine with an OS, or buy one with Linux to begin with. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Having been a windows user since 1992 and linux user since 1998 I can see merits to both sides of the argument.

For most people, as is the case with smartphones as well, the OS a user is already familiar with will win 90% of the time. That said, I prefer Linux, but due to my job in the government spend more time in windows out of necessity. I've found FreeCAD runs better on linux. Compiling the software on either OS is a chore the first time you do so if you are unfamiliar with the process in general.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

obelisk79 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm I've found FreeCAD runs better on linux. Compiling the software on either OS is a chore the first time you do so if you are unfamiliar with the process in general.
Not sure if I can confirm that FC runs better on Linux in general, but there are 2 things:

1) If you use AMD GPU, their OpenGL implementation is a disaster on Windows (experiences from RX 580 and 5700XT). This is a common statement, not for Freecad in particular. From the other hand Nvidia on Linux lacks some minor features. So, the best experience imo is AMD+Linux or Nvidia+Windows.
2) I haven't found a way to compile FreeCAD fast on Windows yet. On Linux I use make -j16, the job is done after an quarter or something. On Windows I'm supposed to use Visual Studio and compilation takes ages... Edit: obelisk79 suggested a solution.
Last edited by kwahoo on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

In cmake before generating the VS solution you can set the MP flag to use multiple cores. I compile on my 6700k in about 24 minutes.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

drmacro wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm I assume you meant inflexible? 8-)
I meant exactly what I said.

I have been using unix and then linux for many decades, but I prefer Windows for most purposes. To be fair, Bill Gates would probably not recognize my installations of Windows. :lol:

Gene
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

Flip wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:20 pm Hi everyone. I am brand spanking new to CAD.....
Current setup is:
Windows 7 Home
Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300@2.6 GHz
4 gig ram
32 bit ...

Flip

>>>Hi Flip,
I'm also relatively new:

I also run Windows (8.1)
If you are a beginner on Windows, I would continue beginning - by avoiding Linux (despite the boosters) I mean, just how many headaches do you need at once..... :roll:
Once you understand what you have - then make your changes.

I was using 8GB RAM and, it worked Ok for most parts I made in PartDesign WB, and some FEM analysis and smaller assemblies. But Techdraw got a bit grindy. And it got real slow when I tried importing multiple parametric parts into an assembly (>8 items), so I went to 8GB then I pumped it up to 64GB - which to be honest didn't make much difference for the cost.
So again, stick with what you got till it gets unbearable...

My Graphics card is an old Radeon R9 from 2014: 8 or 16GB I think (hope),
My chip is i7-3.7GHz. Dunno how your 2.6 will fare, but I recall somewhere a discussion about how its the chip internal architecture, not the speed that is critical, so it is just 'plug it in' and see what happens.

Verion 19 is good advice I think, but load v18 too so you get the help-files.

Anyhoo, Early on, understanding FreeCAD will be your limitation, plenty of time later to stress about your RAM.
Like someone once said - 'don' t worry about the hardware, its your technique you should be working on..'. :oops: