[Idea] The Benchmark of FreeCAD to make it more popular

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NoUsername_

[Idea] The Benchmark of FreeCAD to make it more popular

Post by NoUsername_ »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, so forgive me in advance if I miss something that is already implemented.

Today websites that publish reviews of CPU and GPU tend to not only benchmark pc games, but also a great amount of other programs for ML, image processing, 3d graphics. It has become became "a must" to measure the performance of Blender if you test CPU or GPU. Websites now test GIMP, code compilation, web-performance etc. (https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/am ... -tested/12).

What do you think about the idea to create benchmark to calculate multiple operations on objects in FreeCAD? It could help to promote the software almost effortlessly.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: [Idea] The Benchmark of FreeCAD to make it more popular

Post by drmacro »

Is there a goal to promote the software?

To what end?

Why would I care if it takes 10 seconds to do on SoftwareXXX and 10.1 seconds on FreeCAD?
(If it took 10 seconds on one and 10 minutes on another, maybe.)

Blender is a render and animation tool. I.e. it has to render thousands upon thousands of frames for an animation sequence.
Bench marking it, makes sense.

IMO :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

To the end that it could be interesting and provide more data points on what could be improved (coparing boot time or execution time of different operations). This would also be helpful with different workbenches that are tackling different industries
BIM (Archtecture)
Trails (Earthworks and Civil Transportation)
Render WB
FEM (Finite Element Analysis
etc....
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
watsug

Post by watsug »

drmacro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm Why would I care if it takes 10 seconds to do on SoftwareXXX and 10.1 seconds on FreeCAD?
The opposite. Using FreeCAD as a load to benchmark pc hardware.

I think it sound like a fun idea. The question is what can be used as a load? Maybe a FEM project? That is calculation heavy and gives a cool looking visualisation when it's complete.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

watsug wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:50 pm The opposite. Using FreeCAD as a load to benchmark pc hardware.
Inadvertently, we would be benchmarking the OpenCascade kernel :lol:

Edit: I mean...using the OCCT kernel to benchmark hardware
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

NoUsername_ wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm What do you think about the idea to create benchmark to calculate multiple operations on objects in FreeCAD? It could help to promote the software almost effortlessly.
I think that's a very good idea. Not only to promote FreeCAD (what would be gaining by that ?) but to actually benchmark FreeCAD, and have it compared to other CAD systems.

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:52 pm
watsug wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:50 pm The opposite. Using FreeCAD as a load to benchmark pc hardware.
Inadvertently, we would be benchmarking the OpenCascade kernel :lol:
Yes, you're right, but it's actually usefull: with large assemblies FreeCAD (and/or OCC) tend to become very sluggish, which means that in the near future, right after the topo-naming fix in v0.20, FreeCAD's performance on large systems might become the next hurdle.

Therefore, as benchmark, I'd suggest to measure the loading time of a large STEP assembly (~100Mb), and then the FPS when rotating that assembly. I would be really interested in FreeCAD performance compared to other CAD systems.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

If the goal is make FC more popular than i think a course om for example coursera would be better... Just like inkscape: (https://www.coursera.org/search?query=inkscape)
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

And on the low end of the spectrum:
This morning I'm making tool paths with FreeCad using the guts of an old Netbook complete with on-board graphics. Simple stuff but there's no way this old hardware runs Blender... or Windows for that matter.
The ability to run on old junk may not be FreeCad's goal but it's appreciated anyway.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
NoUsername_

Post by NoUsername_ »

drmacro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm Is there a goal to promote the software?
//
1. I would say to "familiarize" visitors of those website with FreeCad.
2. The amount of people who buy videocards and cpus not just for gaming, but for hobby-professional activities(machine learning, 3d modelling etc.) has raised dramatically in the last 5 years. When people see the benchmark of performance of PyTorch, code compilation in VS 2019, or rendering in blender, they regard those tools as default apps to get things done in the corresponding fields, especially when they see the tests of those tools year after year.
3. Once some event triggered a user to make something in a given field (say he saw a character from a game and wants to recreate or modify it) - he knows what kind of tools are available to solve the task.

drmacro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm Why would I care if it takes 10 seconds to do on SoftwareXXX and 10.1 seconds on FreeCAD?
(If it took 10 seconds on one and 10 minutes on another, maybe.)
The goal isn't to measure the performance per se, but to use performance tests as a way to promote FreeCad for... free.
drmacro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm Blender is a render and animation tool. I.e. it has to render thousands upon thousands of frames for an animation sequence.
Bench marking it, makes sense.
As was mentioned: FEM, viewport performance when you are dealing with complex models.
Here is the benchmarks of the viewport performance of SolidWorks, Catia and other software https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3399 ... y-and-more
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:28 pm To the end that it could be interesting and provide more data points on what could be improved (coparing boot time or execution time of different operations). This would also be helpful with different workbenches that are tackling different industries
BIM (Archtecture)
Trails (Earthworks and Civil Transportation)
Render WB
FEM (Finite Element Analysis
etc....
Looks good. It's important to find out how to measure something that would be non-linear, i.e. not like
"min(timeit.repeat(stmt=f"[x**2 for x in range(1000000)]", number=500, repeat=10)".

I think it sound like a fun idea. The question is what can be used as a load? Maybe a FEM project? That is calculation heavy and gives a cool looking visualization when it's complete.
A pretty good point - to visualize something and not just show the results of computations...The more graphics we have, as in blender(3-4 tests) the more output for benchmarks in a review article.
Maybe the following pipeline:
1. Create a complex model
2. FEM analysis
3. Render the stylized results (layers of 2 + 1)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Even though we would really mostly be testing OpenCASCADE functionality underneath, promoting the use of FreeCAD as an interface for such CAD testing is a good thing. This topic made me think of the Phoronix Test Suite and OpenBenchmarking.org, see for example https://openbenchmarking.org/suites
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.