Freecad coming from Fusion360

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sergio_belgium

Re: Freecad coming from Fusion360

Post by sergio_belgium »

Bance wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:01 pm
sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm And if you would agree to improve you would at least implement BOTH ways of setting that constraint.
I'm afraid you've got it all wrong here, if you want to improve FC go ahead and do it, nobody is stopping you. That is what makes FC free.
Sure autodesk with a marketshare 70% of the world is wrong and a freeware programm is correct. I know my answer and that of millions of autodesk users. But please keep attacking and defending instead of improving the program.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm Sure autodesk with a marketshare 70% of the world is wrong and a freeware programm is correct
1) it's not freeware

2) why don't you simply continue to use your great 70%-CAD program and stop annoying us ? If you make such a fuss for that simple feature, there really is no point for you to continue because there will be much bigger things across your path. So please, continue to use Fusion 365 and let it be.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm Sure autodesk with a marketshare 70% of the world is wrong and a freeware programm is correct. I know my answer and that of millions of autodesk users. But please keep attacking and defending instead of improving the program.
The point is I doubt anyone would be against that improvement, but nobody is going to code it just because you say so, remember, they don't get paid to code. If you want to you can implement it and if it's implemented properly it will surely get merged (this is a feature I would really like to have actually)
Wanna know why FreeCAD has to reinvent the wheel? Because all the propietary software that in your opinion are so perfect keep their code hidden unlike FreeCAD.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm And then there are some functions like TRim (T, R) well sorry it doesn't work for me Ik keep toggling between first T and then R, and reverse. But i never see trim nomatter what i do. how difficult can it be to make a shift-T or control-T???
valid point, this shortcut seems to be conflicting with the default shortcuts for tangent constraint and rectangle, it should be changed to a more reasonable default, can you weight in abdullah?
abdullah wrote:
Also I cannot find how to "lock" a line without constraints.
you probably want the Sketcher_ConstrainBlock
I love that it's freeware I really do, but it could be so much better. And honestly if Fusion would be cheaper i would swith immidiately back.
Unless someone can convince me :D
You love that you don't have to pay but you clearly don't care much about having free software (as in freedom, not as in free beer)
sergio_belgium

Post by sergio_belgium »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:33 am valid point, this shortcut seems to be conflicting with the default shortcuts for tangent constraint and rectangle, it should be changed to a more reasonable default, can you weight in abdullah?
Thanks
I think this will come in handy
You love that you don't have to pay but you clearly don't care much about having free software (as in freedom, not as in free beer)
I do otherwise i would not bother to write those errors down in the hope they get improved.
And about that invention of the wheel. You are partially right, they do hide there sourcecode. But the whole point of a forum is to talk about errors and improvements. And attacking me or other users that make the switch (only because Fusion 360 is outrageous pricey) isn't going to help. But listening to what is different (and better) would be a better investement of their time.
If you would make a poll on why users switch from fusion360 to freecad I don't think many would answer because they like freecad more.
So my point is listen or group the request those users make and improve the program. It has been proven to be the better way due to a bigger marketshare and a bigger community.

While being medior is already great for a free program. It would be great if could really compete with the best right?

On topic, i'm still searching my way around certain constrains so my workflow does not get interrupted or broken. Probably with help (like from you) I can find a way (not perfect but workable)
But I stay firm that the distance-between-constrain could be better, more userfriendly and less time consuming
PCR

Post by PCR »

sergio_belgium wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 am
adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:33 am valid point, this shortcut seems to be conflicting with the default shortcuts for tangent constraint and rectangle, it should be changed to a more reasonable default, can you weight in abdullah?
Thanks
I think this will come in handy
I do otherwise i would not bother to write those errors down in the hope they get improved.
And about that invention of the wheel. You are partially right, they do hide there sourcecode. But the whole point of a forum is to talk about errors and improvements. And attacking me or other users that make the switch (only because Fusion 360 is outrageous pricey) isn't going to help. But listening to what is different (and better) would be a better investement of their time.
If you would make a poll on why users switch from fusion360 to freecad I don't think many would answer because they like freecad more.
So my point is listen or group the request those users make and improve the program. It has been proven to be the better way due to a bigger marketshare and a bigger community.

While being medior is already great for a free program. It would be great if could really compete with the best right?

On topic, i'm still searching my way around certain constrains so my workflow does not get interrupted or broken. Probably with help (like from you) I can find a way (not perfect but workable)
But I stay firm that the distance-between-constrain could be better, more userfriendly and less time consuming
You can always open a thread and attach the file. Some users (inlcuding me) will help you with the constraints and make a video how to do it!
sergio_belgium

Post by sergio_belgium »

PCR wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 am You can always open a thread and attach the file. Some users (inlcuding me) will help you with the constraints and make a video how to do it!
Thanks those are kind words ;)
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

i was gonna use fusion

they even gave us free start up licence with all the bells with whistles

but turns out you can't change fusion gui and icons are too small

I can't see small icons
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm Sure autodesk with a marketshare 70% of the world is wrong
From 2019 Dassault Systèmes presentation for investors
sergio_belgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:09 pm SO you are saying that autodesk with + 20years of experience in CAD is wrong.
Really funny :D
FreeCAD is inspired by CATIA, first time released in 1982. Guess where was Autodesk in 1982. I am full time PTC Creo user, and while I see FreeCAD does a lot things different, I can use both packages without any problem. And some are similar, eg. a lot of constraints (eg. symmetry) work on points, not lines...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

We do need to review Sketcher shortcuts. There are new features that could use an own shortcut (e.g. corner preserving fillet). There are several shortcuts that do not work.

The problem with doing it is not in the code, but in the people. I foresee resistance if shortcuts are changed (read, if shortcuts need to be changed), upon review. I think we might have too little single keystroke shortcuts for the sketcher. Some shortcuts, like shift+o for PoO are not very comfortable.

I think this needs to be open as a separate thread and gain some community agreement. Changing the code is something anybody can do.