Arch MultiMaterials

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Arch MultiMaterials

Post by carlopav »

jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 am
Thanks for the link, it was very inspiring. Indeed Revit is a really powerful software.
My brain is just fusing thinking about a such complicated implementation... or ... not... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:08 am
1) Materials can automatically wrap at inserts and ends.
Hmmm, it seems I can imagine what is it about, any image for better reference to make thing sure ? :)
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble »

Here's a graphic from my own "manual" that shows wrapping behaviour.

Wrap.jpg
Wrap.jpg (74.12 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

To make heads explode even more, individual layers can have a wrap property set to on or off so that some layers can wrap and others not. :D
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am Here's a graphic from my own "manual" that shows wrapping behaviour.

To make heads explode even more, individual layers can have a wrap property set to on or off so that some layers can wrap and others not. :D
Thanks! Not very sure what does it means by 'both layers', I see the tile 'wrap around'. Yes, this is one details that I try model quite a long time ago, long enough that I forgot how do I try model it, probably too tedious that it is not practical :)
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble »

carlopav wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 am
jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 am
Thanks for the link, it was very inspiring. Indeed Revit is a really powerful software.
My brain is just fusing thinking about a such complicated implementation... or ... not... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It is powerful, but also makes me beat my brains out on the desk with frustration at times. For that reason, I don't think FreeCAD should be too much like it. :lol:
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble »

paullee wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:15 am
jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am Here's a graphic from my own "manual" that shows wrapping behaviour.

Thanks! Not very sure what does it means by 'both layers', I see the tile 'wrap around'. Yes, this is one details that I try model quite a long time ago, long enough that I forgot how do I try model it, probably too tedious that it is not practical :)
Sorry, in that example the wall is composed of two material layers - metal cladding on the outside and brick on the inside. The left image shows the generic grey that displays when layer wrapping is disabled. The right image shows what happens when internal and external wrapping is enabled - the metallic layer wraps to the window exterior and the brick layer to the interior.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

jahwobble wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am To make heads explode even more, individual layers can have a wrap property set to on or off so that some layers can wrap and others not. :D
This could be problematic, I think because each layer have an own width, and maybe the width of the wrapping is not the same as the width of the layer (thinking about insulation) or can you set them separated?

My belief is that we always have to make a deal between very precise model and meaningful information representation.
For this i'm asking, regarding your experience, could you accept to have a 3 layer only representation for walls: one solid for the central structural part of the wall, one solid for representing all the internal layers, and one for representing all the external layers? Or would that be too crappy?

PS. I do not like so much the too much rigid derivation of some of those very powerful tools: at some points you will just be forced to use your presets just because you have them ready to use. And I believe that this could lead to really lazy design process (that is BAD to me).
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble »

My belief is that we always have to make a deal between very precise model and meaningful information representation.
For this i'm asking, regarding your experience, could you accept to have a 3 layer only representation for walls: one solid for the central structural part of the wall, one solid for representing all the internal layers, and one for representing all the external layers? Or would that be too crappy?

I think that limiting multimaterials to three layers would sacrifice their usefulness for a mere gain in pretty presentation. Wrapping is more a "nice to have" than an essential.

PS. I do not like so much the too much rigid derivation of some of those very powerful tools: at some points you will just be forced to use your presets just because you have them ready to use. And I believe that this could lead to really lazy design process (that is BAD to me).

One problem that I have found with Revit is that it constrains the user in certain ways precisely because of the rigidity that you describe. I find myself adopting many work-arounds because the standard objects do not cover all the things I will come across in as-built modelling. I find myself telling colleagues more used to 2D building survey plans that they need to create the model almost as one would build a house and plan it accordingly. It can be too easy to slap features down and later find that if you move one wall, the model breaks or your windows disappear.

Anyway, I've probably abused an announcement thread enough with my ramblings. :oops:
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Indeed, better make a thread in Draft, Arch & BIM, unless announcing new feature in MultiMaterial :D
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble »

Yeah, I'm sure a poster rambling on about Revit isn't a new feature around here. :lol: