Arch MultiMaterials

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Giuliano1969

Re: Arch MultiMaterials

Post by Giuliano1969 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks paulee for your reply

I tested again on version 0,19 2020/03/16 and found this evidences (see attached file):
+starting the wall straight from the toolbar (no sketch or dwire), and applying a multimaterial works
+starting the wall from a sketch that is a line/segment and applying a multimaterial works
-starting the wall from a sketch that is a dwire or rectangle does NOT work
-starging the wall from a face does NOT work

I noticed in the tread you showed me
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 23&t=41116
that the file of roy_43, wall-multimat.FCStd, shows now the same bad behaviour: the first “Wall” based on a Rectangle, does NOT shows any multilayer.

seems to me that when we have a closed shape, the multilayer wall feature is broken.
Do you agree ?
Can you easily understand what could cause the problem ?
Attachments
Schermata da 2020-03-20 17-13-25.png
Schermata da 2020-03-20 17-13-25.png (237.28 KiB) Viewed 727 times
wall-multimat3.FCStd
(34 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
paullee

Post by paullee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 am

Had resolved how to do an Wall with Sketch that would form multiple ... then attempted to think how to do multiple layers, but found there are problem about directions of wires vs direction of layers... Currently layer have no 'direction', same for all Align (Left, Right, Center)...

Anyway, maybe you help filing a report / feature request at Mantis Bug Tracker ?
Giuliano1969

Post by Giuliano1969 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Ok Paulee, I will open a bug in bugtraker

As required, 2. Discuss the problem on the forum first!, :-), this is the bug that I would open.
As my first bug opened, I kindly ask if something is missing or could be done better to give more information to the developpers.

Any suggestion for a better bug traker?

PS
mantis bug tracker does need a separete user registration from the one on the forum ?
Seems not to recognize my account...

Here below the text:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Arch wall wiki page https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Wall,
When built on top of an existing shape, a wall can be based on:
linear 2D object, flat face, solid, mesh.

From what I tested on MULTIMATERIAL Wall, i found that

multimaterial DOES work onto:
wall straight from toolbar
wall based on existing sketch line
wall based on existing draft line

multimaterial Does NOT work onto:
wall based on draft rect
wall based on face
wall based on solid

So the multimaterial seems to work only on when the wall is based on 1-D geometrical element (line/sketch/wire), but does not work when the wall is based on a 2D or 3D element.
Attachments
wall-multimat3.FCStd
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Schermata da 2020-03-23 13-14-56.png
Schermata da 2020-03-23 13-14-56.png (334.03 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Kunda1

Post by Kunda1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Giuliano1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm
Any suggestion for a better bug traker?

PS
mantis bug tracker does need a separete user registration from the one on the forum ?
Please also add you About info to the ticket and this forum thread.

Note: The tracker is a separate login process than the forum. At some point we'd like to integrate them. If you have some expertise in this area, please let us know. We're all volunteers here and FC is more than a decade old so we're using different solutions for infrastructure that have been carried down over the years.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
paullee

Post by paullee » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Giuliano1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

PS

Here below the text:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Arch wall wiki page https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Wall,
When built on top of an existing shape, a wall can be based on:
linear 2D object, flat face, solid, mesh.

From what I tested on MULTIMATERIAL Wall, i found that

wall based on draft rect
wall based on face
wall based on solid

So the multimaterial seems to work only on when the wall is based on 1-D geometrical element (line/sketch/wire), but does not work when the wall is based on a 2D or 3D element.
@Kunda explains indeed needs a separate account, please do so before someone can do something better ? :)

And thanks for the summary, it is for 0.19_pre I guess. As something was not added in 0.18 to my memory.
And to my understanding

wall based on draft rect

wall based on multi-wire Sketch
wall based on face
wall based on solid

It will not work on Face or Solid as it seem difficult to guess how the layers should be generated from these objects?
Or any idea ?
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble » Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Having worked with Revit for several years, it's interesting to see multimaterials in FreeCAD. I created a brick and plaster multimaterial which seems to work well on walls with centre alignment, but produces a double wall when the alignment is left or right. In the graphic below, the windowed wall has centre alignment while the other wall has left alignment.

Multilayer.JPG
Multilayer.JPG (29.82 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Great effort though - I'm sure glitches like this will be ironed out in time. I shall refrain from typing out a Revit-inspired wish list for multimaterials. ;)
paullee

Post by paullee » Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 am

jahwobble wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Having worked with Revit for several years, it's interesting to see multimaterials in FreeCAD. I created a brick and plaster multimaterial which seems to work well on walls with centre alignment, but produces a double wall when the alignment is left or right. In the graphic below, the windowed wall has centre alignment while the other wall has left alignment.

Great effort though - I'm sure glitches like this will be ironed out in time. I shall refrain from typing out a Revit-inspired wish list for multimaterials. ;)
I want to attack that also :) I never used Revit. Anything you expect ?

One thing I had thought is the direction of Wire currently govern the layer direction applied along the Wire - if you want to apply that layer material in different direction, you need to add another Multi-material swapping the order. Maybe adding a switch is more simple ?
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble » Sun May 17, 2020 5:08 am

I want to attack that also :) I never used Revit. Anything you expect ?
More a tentative wish list than expectation - A couple of handy things in Revit are:

1) Materials can automatically wrap at inserts and ends.
2) The top and bottom levels of material layers can be individually manipulated. In one project this allowed me to easily mimic metal cladding on a brick wall that had its base level a couple of metres above the base level of the brick.

The same effect can probably be achieved in FreeCAD with thin sweeps/extrusions for wrapping, and voiding out/adding another wall object for variable layer levels.

Mmmm... didn't refrain, did I? :lol:
carlopav

Post by carlopav » Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 am

jahwobble wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:08 am
More a tentative wish list than expectation - A couple of handy things in Revit are:
Indeed this are quite difficult things to address :)
1) Materials can automatically wrap at inserts and ends.
I'm thinking about that since quite a long time. The point is that current implementation is really versatile and powerful, but this means also a really wide usecases covered, so it's a really difficult issue to implement a wrapping that works with them all...
2) The top and bottom levels of material layers can be individually manipulated. In one project this allowed me to easily mimic metal cladding on a brick wall that had its base level a couple of metres above the base level of the brick.
How does that work? I'm not so familiar too with Revit. does it means you can control the individual base offset of each wall layer!? This could be quite easy to tackle... but would add an enormous set of properties to the object...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jahwobble

Post by jahwobble » Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 am

I'm thinking about that since quite a long time. The point is that current implementation is really versatile and powerful, but this means also a really wide usecases covered, so it's a really difficult issue to implement a wrapping that works with them all...
In Revit, wrap only works with doors and windows (as far as I know). If you just void a hole into a Revit wall, it will not wrap. Revit door and window families have a parameter than controls the point to which wall layers will wrap. Limiting wrapping to windows might be the way to go in FreeCAD, if it was ever to be implemented.
How does that work? I'm not so familiar too with Revit. does it means you can control the individual base offset of each wall layer!? This could be quite easy to tackle... but would add an enormous set of properties to the object...
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... 6-htm.html

The tops and bottoms of individual layers can be unlocked and adjusted via parameters.

One problem for software developers (especially free software!) is the constant wish-listing and cries of "why can't your software be more like the software that I'm used to?". Of course, the obvious and reasonable answer is "Because it isn't the same software and I will probably break mine and go mad into the bargain if I try to make it like the one your're used to".