FEM Workbench Testing - GSoC Proposal

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
m42kus

Re: FEM Workbench Testing - GSoC Proposal

Post by m42kus »

Today I started the creation of a very much simplified version of essential runtime components of FreeCAD. I will use that in the next few days to implement a prototype of the test framework. This will make it much easier to convey my idea to you guys and also to argue about it, make changes and generally improve it before I implement it for the real FreeCAD. It's also much easier for me to initially develop for those simplified components. The code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/ceeli/gsoc2019_prototype.
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

I just posted part 2 of the testing tool survey concerning the selection of a C++ unit test library in the Testing Tool Survey topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p311026
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Hi everyone,

sorry for the slowdown of my project. Unfortunately I'm sick since a few days. The doctor says that I should still rest for a week but I've been doing a few things anyway :P I'm going to share them with you guys tomorrow :)
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

m42kus wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:49 pm Unfortunately I'm sick since a few days.
Hi Markus. Get well and take the time to recover. BR HoWil
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

HoWil wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 am Hi Markus. Get well and take the time to recover. BR HoWil
Thanks, I'll try :P

Now, for those who didn't already see it on my devlog: I developed a test runner for google test which starts FreeCAD before it runs the tests. Without the application running FreeCADs Document Objects wouldn't work properly. You can look into the code on my testing feature branch: https://github.com/ceeli/FreeCAD_bhb/tree/testing.

I also wrote some source documentation for the Analysis Document Object (specification). Based on the specification I than wrote some tests. Right now all this is located in src/Mod/Fem/Test.

In addition I started to develop a test support library for C++ tests. Right now there isn't much in it yet but I expect it to grow over the next month.

To figure out how to properly test objects I needed to dig around a lot in the FreeCAD source to learn how exactly everything works. When I learn stuff I always write down what I learned wiki style (mostly because I forget things pretty fast xD). I think most of that isn't part of the wiki yet. If you are interested I could share that docs with you and if you find it helpful put it on the wiki :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

m42kus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am To figure out how to properly test objects I needed to dig around a lot in the FreeCAD source to learn how exactly everything works. When I learn stuff I always write down what I learned wiki style (mostly because I forget things pretty fast xD). I think most of that isn't part of the wiki yet. If you are interested I could share that docs with you and if you find it helpful put it on the wiki
Yes, please! :pray:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes please (2)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

m42kus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:17 am
Hey @m42kus hows it going? Any updates ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:24 pm Hey @m42kus hows it going? Any updates ?
Hey, not that much... I really wasn't in the shape of doing anything worthwhile the past week. Today I already feel much better and I did a little documentation work. From tomorrow on I'm going to work full time again. I'm very sorry for the delay...
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Hello,
thanks for your patience, I'm going to try to make up for the lost time by working a few weekends. Today I implemented a few more tests, advanced the FCTest library a bit and also wrote tests and documentation for the new code I wrote for the library :P. I also updated my devlog where you can find more details: https://ceeli.github.io/gsoc

One thing I did yesterday was to setup a alternative version of FreeCADs doxygen documentation. Imo doxygens default configuration is a bit overloaded so I hacked together a lighter prototype. It only includes documented C++ code and is hosted on github. I did this just so I can keep track of my stuff but maybe you find something worth stealing :P. If you are interested you can look at two classes I documented today:
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 pm Yes, please! :pray:
yorik wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:35 amYes please (2)
Nice to see that you are interested, I'm going to share them as soon as I find the time to polish the notes a little more. Probably next week I think :)