Cylinder head - Months in the Making

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Celica_Supra

Re: Cylinder head - Months in the Making

Post by Celica_Supra »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:46 am
Celica_Supra wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 am Hopefully you'll see I use the symmetry constraint a lot later on - Sometimes I'm still thinking in terms of other platforms and forget about the symmetry constraint and how much time it saves.
I had seen that you used symmetry before, so this was rather a comment for others who take it as instructional video.
Got it! Thanks. Its a fantastic constraint and once I got used to it, I find myself wishing I could use it in SolidWorks. I think it's one of the great intuitive things FreeCAD offers.
sariug

Post by sariug »

Hello,

First of all great tutorial and model.
A question though. Not to you actually but to main developers.

The Extrusions are not automatically merging to the intersecting faces which are creating separated faces. Shall there be a bug issue about it, or enhancement or something ?

I could not really find it but there is a Line Edge somewhere with 1 vertex(it should have been).

Again great model, but to make freecad better these things should have been healed :)

Bests
Attachments
seperated_Faces.png
seperated_Faces.png (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

Is that a honda DOHC cylinder head?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sariug wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 pm Again great model, but to make freecad better these things should have been healed :)
There is nothing to be healed, but you can set the Refine property of the last operation to true to get rid of the coplanar seams.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm Is that a honda DOHC cylinder head?
It's a nothing head ;)

On a real vehicle, I would expect the inlet to bifurcate inside the head, not have a separate inlet for each value. Also inlet would be larger than outlet. But in view of the work this was I can fully understand the cheat of four identical valves. Also the b-spline makes a nice looking combustion chamber that is an art in itself.

Anyway great video, I learnt a lot about FreeCAD by watching it.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

freman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 pm
It's a nothing head ;)

On a real vehicle, I would expect the inlet to bifurcate inside the head, not have a separate inlet for each value. Also inlet would be larger than outlet. But in view of the work this was I can fully understand the cheat of four identical valves. Also the b-spline makes a nice looking combustion chamber that is an art in itself.

Anyway great video, I learnt a lot about FreeCAD by watching it.
You're absolutely right, I'm embarrassed I missed that :-P