Start page keeps coming back

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tjp

Start page keeps coming back

Post by tjp »

I am seeing a very annoying happening. I have closed the start window and have the Control View, a sketch and a spread sheet window tiled. I close the sketch, not the window but the edit operation, and the Start window comes back. I'm getting tired of closing that darn window.

tjp

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.2.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Start page keeps coming back

Post by DeepSOIC »

That may happen if you open a sketch for editing when Start workbench is active. This is kinda by design (upon closing the sketch, FreeCAD switches back to the workbench you were in when opening it, and when you switch to Start workbench, it pops the start page).

Having a step-by-step way to reproduce your problem would have been great, maybe there's something else going on.
tjp

Post by tjp »

I don't know HOW I GOT there. It stated happening.
I even quit Freecad, restarted it, and it is still happening on ALL MY DRAWINGS.
Start freecad, close start page, open a drawing, open a sketch (no changes), close sketch and the start page appears.

How do I stop this.

tjp
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

tjp wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:10 pm Start freecad, close start page, open a drawing, open a sketch (no changes), close sketch and the start page appears.

How do I stop this.

tjp
As @DeepSOIC has suggested:
Start freecad, close start page, open a drawing, switch to Sketcher workbench, open a sketch (no changes), close sketch and the start page appears.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

I'll fix it if I don't forget.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am not all that sure, this behavior should be fixed. It's rather convenient. To for example open Sketcher edit mode from Part workbench. After editing is done, to return to Part workbench. AFAIR, this is something @ickby introduced, as a part of PartDesign NEXT effort. At that point, we had some discussions, if it should be done like that or not. But now i guess things have settled and that is just how it works, as expected.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

triplus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm I am not all that sure, this behavior should be fixed. It's rather convenient. To for example open Sketcher edit mode from Part workbench. After editing is done, to return to Part workbench.
I'll just add an exclusion for Start workbench, don't worry. I know how useful this behavior is, I have actually reimplemented it a couple days ago (and made it possible to auto-activate something other than sketcher for editing a particular sketch).
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 pm I'll just add an exclusion for Start workbench, don't worry.
Great.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 pm
triplus wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm I am not all that sure, this behavior should be fixed. It's rather convenient. To for example open Sketcher edit mode from Part workbench. After editing is done, to return to Part workbench.
I'll just add an exclusion for Start workbench, don't worry. I know how useful this behavior is, I have actually reimplemented it a couple days ago (and made it possible to auto-activate something other than sketcher for editing a particular sketch).
Are you sure it works? When loading a project from the StartPage and editing a PD feature then it always jumps back to the Start wb when I close the task dialog.

But nevertheless, now the StartPage is only shown the very first time when activating its wb. It's still possible to load the StartPage manually (3rd button of the tool bar).
git commit f31287845
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 pm Are you sure it works?
Well, I think it did, when I tested it. I'm now not sure in any of my code, it is showing unprecedented capacity to not work lately :oops: