Start page keeps coming back

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Start page keeps coming back

Post by DeepSOIC »

wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 pm When loading a project from the StartPage and editing a PD feature then it always jumps back to the Start wb
I made it for sketches. Are you editing a length of Pad? I didn't test that...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:29 pm
wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 pm When loading a project from the StartPage and editing a PD feature then it always jumps back to the Start wb
I made it for sketches. Are you editing a length of Pad? I didn't test that...
I can confirm it doesn't jump back to the Start wb after editing a sketch but it does after editing a PD feature (Pad, Pocket, ...) Anyway, now that the Start page won't be re-opened it's not a big issue any more.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

This is likely related?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=43566

Currently, once one closes Start workbench document tab, activating Start workbench won't bring it back anymore. Likely that is not intended behavior?

P.S. But i can see on how people from this thread and the linked thread have different expectations. On what the behavior should be.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Currently, once one closes Start workbench document tab, activating Start workbench won't bring it back anymore. Likely that is not intended behavior?
This is exactly the intended behaviour. Many people who use Start as their default wb don't want to see again the StartPage after they closed it and double-clicked e.g. a PD feature for editing because after editing FreeCAD by default switches back to wb that was active before.

People who want to see again the StartPage must click (not very obvious) on the blue right-arrow button.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I had a feeling introducing such "workbench filters" might in some way fire back. As different people are in the end expect different things to happen. What likely should have happened in this thread is to say the current behavior is the expected behavior. If you don't want default behavior, change the default workbench in preferences to for example Part Design or Sketcher. Similar discussion we had a while back. Should entering the Sketcher workbench hide the Draft grid or not. If this gets implemented, i am sure that someday some Arch people will complain, on why does Draft grid get hidden, when entering Sketcher edit mode from Arch workbench, as they don't want for that to happen.

But i know this isn't always easy, to make everybody happy.