Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: Sketch icon deconfusion : // vs =

Post by freman »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:12 pm To me := has a direction, while = is rather the mathematical equality. Whichever of the two lines changes length due to some other constrants - the other is changed as well.
Exactly my point , := is an assignment. FC models are based on constraints ( such as an equality ).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 pm Exactly my point , := is an assignment.
Sort of. The meaning as assignement operator was derived from its mathematical meaning "is defined as".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

My 2 cents here.

:= has meaning only for people with coding background, which is not the case of all the users, whereas = is known as "equal" by everybody. Therefore I think := should not be used.
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

I agree with dpx.dev, := seems just a Nazi smiley to me...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

my2cents:
I think, changing the parallel icon would be enough. Yes, red lines represent lines at all other icons but I think, that would be the lesser of the two evils ;)
It would make the difference a lot more clearly.

usbhub
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

What about "EQ" as equal?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is no continuously reoccurring discussion. I would give it a try with changing the parallel icon only. Hoping that the distinction is now good enough I would wait for the next discussion to come.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wmayer wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 am I was checking this PR https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2536 and I share triplus' opinion that the new icon is not the correct symbol for parallelism...
I don't think triplus was against the newly proposed parallel symbol, just the new equals (=) symbol.

In my opinion the new parallel symbol is quite good, because parallelism is just about the slope of the lines not their length. So any two lines can be parallel, no matter if one is short and the other long. The new symbol indicates this quite well.
Now the = symbol usually is used to express that two mathematical quantities are equal. However, in the sketcher case we define (or better force) two quantities to be equal and therefore we could also use this symbol :=
Thinking about this a bit, I don't quite like the current equals symbol (=) for the constraint. The constraint is about "equal length" only, not "general equality". To me using the equals symbol (=) indicates "identity"; the objects that have this constraint aren't identical, they only have equal length, which is different from saying they are "identical".

Here are some proposals for a new EqualLength icon. The first two were derived from the original Constraint_EqualLength. The first one was too "fat", so the second one is thinner. The third one is derived from Constraint_HorizontalDistance. The fourth has similar spacing as the third, and is derived from Sketcher_CreateLine; the idea is to stress that they have the same beginning and end, that is, same length.
Constraints_EqualLength.png
Constraints_EqualLength.png (158.74 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Here are the SVGs.
Constraint_EqualLength_new_1.svg
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Constraint_EqualLength_new_2.svg
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Constraint_EqualLength_new_3.svg
(21.93 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Constraint_EqualLength_new_4.svg
(24.21 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

vocx wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:35 pm The constraint is about "equal length" only, not "general equality".
It also works on:
* equality between circles (makes radii equal)
* equality between ellipses (makes their two corresponding radii equal)
* possibly other shapes, I don't know
And potentially (in future):
* angle equality,
* blue constraint value equality