Sketcher task dialog

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Sketcher task dialog

Post by uwestoehr »

zach wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 pm I should have the write up complete soon. :D
Very good. However, for now a simple item list does the job. E.g. for the program LyX I once wrote this simple item list:
https://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyxgit/INSTALL.Win32
and this is sufficient to get it compiled.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 pm and this is sufficient to get it compiled.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 95#p324195
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Since I can now compile FreeCAD. I created a better PR that solves the problem:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2548

Here is a screenshot how it looks now with the PR:
screenshot
screenshot
FreeCAD_TaskSketcher-improved.png (12.11 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

While you are working at it: How about moving the edit controls "Auto remove redundants" and "Auto update" in the edit controls section. I am not absolutely sure about the Update button, but I would guess that it is rarely used.

That would give on small screens additional space for the more interesting entries Contraints and Elements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I added today some more foxes to sketcher dialogs:

* when the 2 solver widgets were minimized, the contraints and the elements list got too small:
lists too small
lists too small
FreeCAD_vNluB6pAuQ.png (16.7 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

* the same happened for the rendering order list. The reason is that there was no sensible minimal height set.

* in the solver messages there is unnecessary whitespace because of an unnecessary horizontal spacer:
unnecessary whitespace
unnecessary whitespace
FreeCAD_Y0VXpRT92M.png (12.57 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
with the patch it looks now:
optimal height
optimal height
FreeCAD_1GIPUnlM3A.png (11.55 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am While you are working at it: How about moving the edit controls "Auto remove redundants" and "Auto update" in the edit controls section.
These are no edit controls but solver settings. Therefore I think it is OK that they are in the separate widget for solver settings. Personally I also use the solver settings the most in the sketcher task dialog thus I am happy with the current situation that it is the topmost widget.

However, I am new in FC and thus want to focus on fixes. Maybe later some real changes or even new features.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 am Since I can now compile FreeCAD. I created a better PR that solves the problem:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2548
I just noticed that your pull request is causing Travis to fail with GCC and Python 2.

See the Travis log: https://travis-ci.org/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/jobs/592368120

Line 6498

Code: Select all

In file included from /home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/TaskSketcherGeneral.cpp:29:0:

/home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/build/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/ui_TaskSketcherGeneral.h: In member function ‘void SketcherGui::Ui_TaskSketcherGeneral::setupUi(QWidget*)’:

/home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/build/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/ui_TaskSketcherGeneral.h:109:25: error: ‘class QListWidget’ has no member named ‘setSizeAdjustPolicy’; did you mean ‘setSizePolicy’?
         renderingOrder->setSizeAdjustPolicy(QAbstractScrollArea::AdjustToContents);
                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                         setSizePolicy

/home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/build/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/ui_TaskSketcherGeneral.h:109:66: error: ‘AdjustToContents’ is not a member of ‘QAbstractScrollArea’
         renderingOrder->setSizeAdjustPolicy(QAbstractScrollArea::AdjustToContents);
                                                                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CMakeFiles/SketcherGui.dir/build.make:633: recipe for target 'src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CMakeFiles/SketcherGui.dir/TaskSketcherGeneral.cpp.o' failed

make[2]: *** [src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CMakeFiles/SketcherGui.dir/TaskSketcherGeneral.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2879: recipe for target 'src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CMakeFiles/SketcherGui.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CMakeFiles/SketcherGui.dir/all] Error 2
It seems this breaks compatibility for Qt4.

See this thread, Fail compile on Fedora 28.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

vocx wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm I just noticed that your pull request is causing Travis to fail with GCC and Python 2.
See the Travis log: https://travis-ci.org/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/jobs/592368120
I am baffled because why do we insist that compatibility with Qt 4? Qt 5 was released 7 years ago (sic!) so I don't see the need to rely on such old software when a newer one is available for years. Moreover it makes it hard to work on the code since then all devs are forced to install also Qt4 to check if and how e.g. dialogs can/have to be designed.

So let's just drop Qt4 support for the next release please. I mean we use our spare time and why should we invest time for a case that might be relevant for < 0,1% of the users.

Nevertheless, of course did not want to break anything.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm I am baffled because why do we insist that compatibility with Qt 4? Qt 5 was released 7 years ago (sic!) ...
I am not opposed to dropping Python 2 and Qt4. With that said, it seems FreeCAD adopted Python 3 and Qt5 quite late. Only 0.18 is provided in both Py2/Qt4 and Py3/Qt5 variants. Before that, 0.17 was still Py2/Qt4 only. So, I think the rate of adoption has been quite slow.

Qt4 is officially unsupported for many years, and Python 2 will finally become unsupported in 2020. Maybe 0.19 should be the last release to support Py2/Qt4, but after that everything should be Py3/Qt5.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I would really hope we commit to dropping Qt4/Python2 support during this development cycle so that 0.19 can be Qt5/Python3 only.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.