Calculus error results from the workflow order?

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Roland

Calculus error results from the workflow order?

Post by Roland »

Hello Fem Forum,

This week was my first introduction to the FEM WB. Quite impressive! I had one issue that I could solve myself. I made a suggestion about the wiki's / tutorials: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40173

One strange experience I should like to share:
The order of defining things does matter. E.g. if the mesh is created after the thicknesses have been applied to elements (I worked with meshes), Calculus gives an error. [or so it seems in my experience]. This is strange, because all items were properly branched under the treetrunk of the Analysis.

Can you reproduce this?

Such workflow order is not forced by the push buttons or the menu. Nor is it mentioned in the tutorials.

For your consideration.

Best regards

Roland
bernd
Veteran

Re: Calculus error results from the workflow order?

Post by bernd »

Roland wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:57 pm Can you reproduce this?
For this we would need the FreeCAD file. If you clear the mesh and delete the results the file size should be fine.

Try deactivateing automatic mesh groups in FEM preferences. Try again. Does it still create a different mesh?

What FreeCAD version do you use? For FEM I would recommend to use the 0,19 dev version as there have been dozens of fixes and small improvements allready.

cheers bernd
Roland

Re: Calculus error results from the workflow order?

Post by Roland »

Since my question did not immediately ring a bell at your side, I propose to leave this for a while until I get into the same/similar problem. If it happens again, that is a sign that there is an issue indeed. Otherwise, it's a hoax.