FreeCAD for Woodworking

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
webmanoffesto

FreeCAD for Woodworking

Post by webmanoffesto »

Can you recommend tutorials on FreeCAD for woodworking.
At this point I'd be happy if I could design a bookshelf.
That means vertical pieces, horizontal pieces.
Front or back not very significant yet, maybe just a 1/8" piece of wood for the back.
Dimensions set in a spreadsheet, so I can change them.
Each board is a separate file, and they are assembled (Assembly4?).
I'll need a cut list.

I worked through Woodworking with FreeCAD, by WayofWood
Parametric Japanese Box, using A2Plus assembly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... fNBfdIpzDQ
but that leaves out a lot of the process.

I like that it uses
Alias Manager Macro

Creating a Cutlist, that's essential
Rendering in 3D image, that's a nice plus

I understand that Assembly with the Assembly 2+ is no longer maintained. I think I should be using Assemblty 4.

More Detailed Project Description https://wayofwood.com/woodworking-designs-with-freecad/

I'm starting on
Designing with spreadsheets in FreeCAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pITOzeqJ0Y&t=234s
vocx
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD for Woodworking

Post by vocx »

webmanoffesto wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm ...
I understand that Assembly with the Assembly 2+ is no longer maintained. I think I should be using Assemblty 4.
Assembly2 is obsolete.

Assembly2+ doesn't exist.

A2plus is the successor of Assebmly2, and it is very much alive and maintained. But it is not compatible with the original Assembly2.

Assembly3 and Assembly4 are workbenches that use the new "App::Link" element, introduced in 0.19. They are still experimental, but they may be good enough for your usecase.

Assembly3 cannot be installed from the Addon Manager yet; Assembly4 can be installed from the Addon Manager.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

webmanoffesto wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm Creating a Cutlist, that's essential
what's a "cutlist" ? Is it like BOM (Bill Of Materials) ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

i think it is same as what in dutch called a 'zaaglijst' most used for stock products like beams that is bought on default lengths and are just cut off from this lengths.
most of the time there are no drawings from it just a list, a (raw )material, length and amount of every peace...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ov10fac

Post by ov10fac »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 pm i think it is same as what in dutch called a 'zaaglijst' most used for stock products like beams that is bought on default lengths and are just cut off from this lengths.
most of the time there are no drawings from it just a list, a (raw )material, length and amount of every peace...
Similar as you say. But many woodworkers in the USA now use plywood and the cut list helps to optimize the use of a sheet of plywood. At $50-$80 a sheet, we woodworkers like to get the most parts possible from a sheet, hence we spend a lot of time developing a cut list.