Using Parts in Path from an Assembly 4

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
monofone1

Using Parts in Path from an Assembly 4

Post by monofone1 »

Hi there,

I've started to work with assemblies and used the assembly 4 workbench. I also want to mill the Parts I created in the Part Design WB. But when I switch to the single Parts and click the Create Job button I get a Dialog to select the Parts to create the Job for and I can't select the Body. The only Option I get is 2d -> Model. If I select this FreeCAD crashes. It seems to me that the Path WB is not able to work together with Assembly4 and App::Part items.

Now I don't know if I do something wrong or there is something missing in the implementation so App::Part and Path WB can work together. I attached my assembly, entry point is fb_asm.FCStd.

Hope my description can somehow be followed.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18738 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: f65a72deb71e8b2a18c849adc9a900c3d113d51b
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
FlinnyBox.zip
(342.01 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Using Parts in Path from an Assembly 4

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with Assembly4. Which file should be opened from the zip archive? (Besides: you should not upload your backup files).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
monofone1

Post by monofone1 »

Hey chrisb,

thx for your fast response, the file to open is fb_asm.FCStd. I fear it was lazyness that the backup files are in the zip ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There are absolute paths in your model, such as
/home/srohweder/src/3d/FlinnyBox/Side Large 2.FCStd, so the model doesn't open. Can you change them to relative? Or you can change them to be something like /tmp/FlinnyBox with the tmp directory being present on many systems.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
monofone1

Post by monofone1 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:12 am Can you change them to relative?
Would like to also for my own usage, but I don't find an option to change this, can you point me the direction I have to look for to make them relative ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, but I have no idea, not even if the absolute paths come from the assembly workbench or from the Link feature.
Petert

Post by Petert »

@chrisb Is your problem solved? I am having similar problems right now.
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I admit to scan most assembly posts only rather rough, but I think this has not yet been adressed. So here are the questions to the authors:

- Is Link or Assembly4 creating absolute paths?
- Can this be avoided?
realthunder wrote:ping
zolko wrote:ping
(I move this topic to the Assembly forum, at least until the absolute paths issue is solved, which has nothing to do with Path workbench)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

monofone1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm I've started to work with assemblies and used the assembly 4 workbench. I also want to mill the Parts I created in the Part Design WB. But when I switch to the single Parts and click the Create Job button I get a Dialog to select the Parts to create the Job for and I can't select the Body. The only Option I get is 2d -> Model. If I select this FreeCAD crashes. It seems to me that the Path WB is not able to work together with Assembly4 and App::Part items.
you're right, the Path WB cannot handle App::Parts. So when you're done designing your part, and are ready to mill it (Gcode ?) then you need to copy the solid to a new document and do the Path things. It's a Path (or FreeCAD) thing.

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:12 am There are absolute paths in your model
This was documented on the Assembly4 thread, it has been fixed in FreeCAD-0.19-something, please use the latest release

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can confirm that it's fixed for the link feature, and thus probably for Assembly4 as well.
@monofone1: please rework your file and upload it again.