PartDesign Body Origin

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

PartDesign Body Origin

Post by vocx »

I haven't seen any discussion about this. When the LinkMerge happened, realthunder changed the icon for the PartDesign Body Origin object. I personally prefer the old icon because it shows the typical three-axes coordinate system. The new icon consists of intersecting planes, but I don't think it looks very clear, particularly when seen in isolation. My first thought when I saw the new icon was "this looks like a butterfly".

Does anybody care about this at all?

Original, CoordinateSystem.svg
PartDesign_Body_tree.png
PartDesign_Body_tree.png (18.01 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
After LinkMerge, Std_CoordinateSystem.svg
PartDesign_Body_Origin.png
PartDesign_Body_Origin.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Body Origin

Post by chrisb »

For me it doesn't need an icon at all. But if it should have one, I prefer the old one too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

+1
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

+1 for the old one.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

This is just a technical note. It seems that in the code the old icon is still used for an App::Placement object, while the App::Origin object, which is used in PartDesign Body, uses the newer icon. I wonder why realthunder decided to keep both icons. Is App::Placement meant to be used by itself in a certain situation?

To know what I mean, you can run this code and see the objects in the tree view.

Code: Select all

App.ActiveDocument.addObject("App::Placement", "Placement")
App.ActiveDocument.addObject("App::Origin", "Origin")
App.ActiveDocument.addObject("PartDesign::Body", "Body")
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

vocx wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 pm It seems that in the code the old icon is still used for an App::Placement object, while the App::Origin object, which is used in PartDesign Body, uses the newer icon.
I have submitted pull request #2770 to use once more the tri-colored icon for the PartDesign Body Origin (App::Origin). Since the App::Placement object was using the same icon, I decided to create a new icon to distinguish it from the Origin.
After the LinkMerge, with a new Origin icon.
After the LinkMerge, with a new Origin icon.
PartDesign_old_Placement.png (14.69 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
After pull request #2770, with a new Placement icon.
PartDesign_new_Placement.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What is this Placement? Is it a local coordinate system? If not, how is it created?

The new icon is not very clear to me. If it indicates some kind of placement as the name suggests, then any kind of coordinate system may be inappropriate and we may search for something completely new.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Good idea to differentiate the two icons, double usage is not good.
PartDesign_new_Placement.png (14.17 KiB)
I think the three coloured icon is best kept for origin as this PR seems to be doing. However, I find the new icon for position rather unclear. I'm not sure that the coloured lines add any information. How about the three grey lines and the dot, without the extras? That is similar to origin but distinguishable from it.

With icons this small you can not afford to put too much in there. I don't want to have to lean forwards are peer at an icon to see what it is.

my2c.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

The new icon for placemente to me looks more apropiate for the origin since it has axes and planes
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:30 am What is this Placement? Is it a local coordinate system? If not, how is it created?
As I said in the previous post you can create the object like this

Code: Select all

App.ActiveDocument.addObject("App::Placement", "Placement")
App::Placement seems to be some sort of internal object. It seems to use the App::PropertyPlacement property. Maybe it is just a test object created by Jürgen and Werner to test this property, and maybe it's not used anywhere else.

As you can see in the generated documentation diagram made by Doxygen, the PropertyPlacement is used by GeoFeature, which is the parent object of Part_Feature, which is the base object of most 2D and 3D objects in FreeCAD. So, App::PropertyPlacement is used by many objects, but the App::Placement object is not.
App_Placement.png
App_Placement.png (59.18 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
The new icon is not very clear to me. If it indicates some kind of placement as the name suggests, then any kind of coordinate system may be inappropriate and we may search for something completely new.
The icon that I made for App::Placement, which I called Std_Placement.svg, is based on how this object looks in the 3D view. Of course, it can always be changed.

This is how an App::Placement looks like.
App_Placement_view.png
App_Placement_view.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
I don't remember seeing it before. I wonder if it's used in one of the assembly workbenches, A2plus, Assembly3, Assembly4, or somewhere else.