Bug: PartDesign: Loose of placement information at a sub-object shape binder

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Bug: PartDesign: Loose of placement information at a sub-object shape binder

Post by realthunder »

cappu wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am It also works fine until saved, opened and changed somewhere. Please follow my failure-instruction to find out in new Version: 0.19.
PR submitted here. I have also improved internal cache, so that when creating a new sketch after restoring document the binder won't perform unnecessary recompute. Previously the cache will have to be rebuilt every time the document is loaded.

The difference between the new SubShapeBinder and the older ShapeBinder is that SubShapeBinder has better support for cross coordinate system binding support. It can even bind to objects in external document. Unfortunately, the bug you discovered here messed up its cross coordinate system binding capability. I'll post some video explaining its feature once the PR is merged.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
cappu

Re: Bug: PartDesign: Loose of placement information at a sub-object shape binder

Post by cappu »

Hi realthunder, thanks for checking, thanks for info and thanks for solving.
You implemented a helpful, nice feature I do not want to miss again.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

realthunder wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:58 am
cappu wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am It also works fine until saved, opened and changed somewhere. Please follow my failure-instruction to find out in new Version: 0.19.
PR submitted here. I have also improved internal cache, so that when creating a new sketch after restoring document the binder won't perform unnecessary recompute. Previously the cache will have to be rebuilt every time the document is loaded.

The difference between the new SubShapeBinder and the older ShapeBinder is that SubShapeBinder has better support for cross coordinate system binding support. It can even bind to objects in external document. Unfortunately, the bug you discovered here messed up its cross coordinate system binding capability. I'll post some video explaining its feature once the PR is merged.
I noticed the subShape binder can be created outside of a body without errors, is there any particular reason why it's not a globally available command?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm I noticed the subShape binder can be created outside of a body without errors, is there any particular reason why it's not a globally available command?
There is:

I'm guessing, the PartDesign green thing is there to cope with Bodies restricting what stuff can be there.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

cappu wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:45 am Hi realthunder, thanks for checking, thanks for info and thanks for solving.
You implemented a helpful, nice feature I do not want to miss again.
Thanks!

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm I noticed the subShape binder can be created outside of a body without errors, is there any particular reason why it's not a globally available command?
DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm There is:

I'm guessing, the PartDesign green thing is there to cope with Bodies restricting what stuff can be there.
Yes. That icon represent a sub-object/element link, more or less the same as what SubShapeBinder does. The SubShapeBinder does a bit more because it has full knowledge of what Shape is. See this post regarding the differences.

There is an old video (please turn on the subtitle) I made earlier about the SubShapeBinder new features, although you may find find some glitch here in upstream because of the bug, which was introduced during the merge. It is working on my asm3 build.

phpBB [video]
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal