How to make an axis visible of and circular part

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AshAsh

How to make an axis visible of and circular part

Post by AshAsh »

Hi,

I wish to know how to make the Axis visible of a circular part when i am doing A3plus i am trying to make an axis constraint
between two circular parts but i cannot activate visibility of the axis of the two parts, Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to make an axis visible of and circular part

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum (and I guess it's A2plus, not A3plus).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

AshAsh wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm I wish to know how to make the Axis visible of a circular part
Hi ashash, I don't think there is an Axis in these parts. kbwbe removes the planes from the parts when the parts are imported , I'm guessing there is not an axis to be found either.
Dan.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

AshAsh wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm i am trying to make an axis constraint between two circular parts
I think this maybe a communication clarity issue or maybe a A2Plus version difference so firstly please check the version I used to produce these screenshots at the bottom of this post.

The constraint to align two circular items is CircularEdge, in the past I believe it was Axis Constraint. If you look at the following screenshots you will see which edges I selected on the manifold and the dowty washer and then the constraint set at zero for them to align. When aligning the BSPP adaptor to the dowty washer I had to use an offset of 15mm to achieve the desired result in this case.
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis.jpg
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis2.jpg
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis2.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis3.jpg
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis3.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis4.jpg
A2P_ConstrainingOnAnAxis4.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19060 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 72065b0d3960ec9b4aa90cce1a6e810e8bab68c4
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

A2Plus v0.4.35
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Syres wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:13 pm I think this maybe a communication clarity issue or maybe a A2Plus version difference
AshAsh wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm I wish to know how to make the Axis visible of a circular part when i am doing A3plus i am trying to make an axis constraint
between two circular parts but i cannot activate visibility of the axis of the two parts,
To clarify my answer. Cylinders and holes has an axis in the center of them. In many CAD programs you can make the axis visible, like the picture below, so you can see if they are where you think they are. AshAsh asked about axis visibility twice and I don't think we can make the axis visible. But reviewing his question he is trying to connect two round parts. I would say that your answer is the one he was looking for.
Dan Miel
Attachments
axisJPG.JPG
axisJPG.JPG (15.04 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
AshAsh

Post by AshAsh »

Hi,

Thanks guys for your responce.
Yes when I try to connect two edges the centre of mass gets highlighted instead of the circular edge constraint and also if the two different circular parts are of a different size I cannot constraint them.
Moreover if the axis is visible in A2plus it serves two purposes one constrainting two different part of different sizes and also you can rotate the other part with the mouse as display for example if you constraint a hinge of a door by axises you can open and close this way.

if any can write a code to make it visible it would be very convient as I am not a python guy.

Cheers.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

AshAsh wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm Yes when I try to connect two edges the centre of mass gets highlighted instead of the circular edge constraint and also if the two different circular parts are of a different size I cannot constraint them.
If you select two cylinders the axisCoincindent should be enabled and should work. I will work on any combination of round surfaces, (holes or cylinders), and edges.

I hope this helps.
Dan
Attachments
Axis coincindent.JPG
Axis coincindent.JPG (9.89 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
AshAsh

Post by AshAsh »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the Help, I got the axis constraint to work with highlighting cylinders but the Part sticks on, the newly added part has got no circular
motion with click and hold of the mouse. is there any solution for this.

Cheers.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

AshAsh wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:24 pm the newly added part has got no circular
motion with click and hold of the mouse. is there any solution for this
There is a new function that might help. The icon is below. Says to click button, select part and it will move within it's degrees of freedom. or something like that.
What CAD are you used to?
Dan
Attachments
Part mover.JPG
Part mover.JPG (10.57 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
AshAsh

Post by AshAsh »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the Info, I have been with a lot of employers and everyone had something different, mostly they have solidworks, well I have jumped off the employment bandwagon and have been trying to develop something myself hence freecad was the best option as I cannot afford the fancy ones.

Cheers.