Simple Pump

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fmluizao

Simple Pump

Post by fmluizao »

Just to learn the basics, I recreated this pump:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3447540

The license is GPL, so I think it's not a problem :mrgreen:

To recreate the parts, I imported the STL, make it transparent (85%), and sketched over to match dimensions. Used only Part Design/Sketcher workbench, and the assembly was done with a2+.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Screenshot from 2020-01-02 10-33-24.png
Screenshot from 2020-01-02 10-33-24.png (18.41 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Screenshot from 2020-01-02 10-21-11.png
Screenshot from 2020-01-02 10-21-11.png (27.09 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Attachments
rotor.FCStd
(438.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
lid.FCStd
(30.26 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
housing_v2.FCStd
(385.51 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
vocx
Veteran

Re: Simple Pump

Post by vocx »

fmluizao wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:22 pm ...
The license is GPL, so I think it's not a problem :mrgreen:
GPL makes sense as a license when the product is source code. Since you are sharing some type of object or art, it makes more sense that it uses a Creative Commons (CC) license.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

vocx wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 pm GPL makes sense as a license when the product is source code. Since you are sharing some type of object or art, it makes more sense that it uses a Creative Commons (CC) license.
I Agree. But it wasn't my choice, I just copied the author's work :mrgreen:
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

fmluizao wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am ...
I Agree. But it wasn't my choice, I just copied the author's work :mrgreen:
If you re-created this file by yourself, then you can assign it the license you want, as you didn't use the previous file except for illustrative purposes.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

I don't care about the license, use at your own risk :lol:
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

First of all to the user fmluizao. Well done and a nice example chosen.

Then also a question regarding the license. If I am a CAD trainer and I am looking for suitable examples for my training courses, e.g. on Youtube or anywhere else on the Internet, may I?
No money is earned with the product itself, it is not manufactured, it is only used to teach people how to design in 3D CAD, see my example Golf-Ball or Joko Engineering, who takes Solidworks, Onshape, or other Brand video tutorials and rebuilds them with Freecad. Who knows if you are allowed to do that?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 am ...Who knows if you are allowed to do that?
Screws are often made according to an ISO standard, right? So, what if you make a screw that is identical to another one, made by a different company? You both had access to that particular information; this information is generic and widely known, so many companies can come up with the same design.

If you see a picture on the Internet, and you take it, copy it, and reproduce it, you didn't use the actual files from the company, you only used the images to guide you but you re-created the model from scratch. So, it's fine, you created something based on another thing that was online. It was available online, therefore, you have to assume the content was put there by somebody who wasn't against it.

But, if you take a drawing, and that drawing has written text that says, "intellectual property", "do not copy", "secret", "do not reproduce without authorization", etc. Then it is made obvious that its author wanted that file to stay within the company and not be publicly distributed. In this case, you should respect that file, and not copy it or use it.

In general, in copyright law, things that are widely available online, whose authors don't "protect" them from distribution, can be used by everybody, so it is okay if you use them in teaching materials. The Creative Commons (CC) licenses try to formalize this process by some requirements, like giving credit to the authors. This is the reason the CC licenses are often suggested for all sorts of artistic creations, including drawings, 3D models, paintings, musics, audio clips, etc.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

vocx wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:00 am If you see a picture on the Internet, and you take it, copy it, and reproduce it, you didn't use the actual files from the company, you only used the images to guide you but you re-created the model from scratch.
I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't you still be subject to any patents on the model?

I always try to see the license in which something was published before publishing a derivative work, but I confess that these copywright issues are pretty annoying...
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

fmluizao wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:08 am I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't you still be subject to any patents on the model?
It really depends what you mean by "patent". There are related legal terms that each refer to different things like intellectual property, patent, license, know-how, trademark, etc.

A patent is a protection to commercialize an invention. If you see a model online, and you make a drawing or 3D model out of it, are you profiting from it? Are you setting up a factory and building it with the intention of selling the product and earning money? If you are not doing that, then you aren't infringing on the patent.

The patent is a public document, try it, just use Google search and you can find the patent of many different products. They are disclosing an invention and showing you schematics and all. The idea with registering patents is that people know what you invented, and you get priority in exploiting it commercially. A company with a patent won't prosecute anybody if you just create a 3D model out of it; they could if you actually try to manufacture and sell the thing, thus stealing their market.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

vocx wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:31 am The patent is a public document, try it, just use Google search and you can find the patent of many different products. They are disclosing an invention and showing you schematics and all. The idea with registering patents is that people know what you invented, and you get priority in exploiting it commercially. A company with a patent won't prosecute anybody if you just create a 3D model out of it; they could if you actually try to manufacture and sell the thing, thus stealing their market.
So let's say I create a course that uses patented parts, and sell it. I'm not manufacturing the parts, but let's say I'm profiting by explaining how the patent works and using the parts as an example. Will I have no problems as long as I don't compete in manufacturing with the patent holder?