Switching between workbenches using Part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Switching between workbenches using Part

Post by freedman »

I have always been a Part Design user and have been looking at Part. Is this correct; as I create a new sketch and need to go from Part to Sketch and back I have to go to the workbench pull down, find the WB and select it every time?
Thanks
vocx
Veteran

Re: Switching between workbenches using Part

Post by vocx »

freedman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 pm I have always been a Part Design user and have been looking at Part. Is this correct; as I create a new sketch and need to go from Part to Sketch and back I have to go to the workbench pull down, find the WB and select it every time?
Thanks
Yes, or you can customize the toolbars to add the tools that you most use.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I think (can't check ATM) that just adding the 'create new sketch' command in a custom toolbar in Part is enough. FC should switch automatically to Sketcher when you create or edit a sketch.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Seems like this should be a standard icon by default, it has to be confusing for new users. I could do a feature request if we think it hasn't been done.
Thanks
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

openBrain wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:45 pm ... FC should switch automatically to Sketcher when you create or edit a sketch.
I'm not sure but I think this is already possible in v0.19. DeepSOIC made some commits about this when he was doing visibility automation.

Check Sketcher_SketchObject. It's a hidden view property.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

freedman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:20 pm Seems like this should be a standard icon by default, it has to be confusing for new users. I could do a feature request if we think it hasn't been done.
I think it's OK like that. There are users that use Draft to draw the shapes to be extruded. If all cases should be covered, then half the screen would be cluttered by icons. And honestly, it's not a huge thing to add a custom toolbar. ;)
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

A new user should not have to learn to make a custom tool bar or start switching workbenches just to do some basic operations. I see posts all the time about how difficult the program is to use, here is one example. I will write a feature request. I suppose a "start sketch icon" should be in Draft also.
Thanks
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

freedman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:41 pm I suppose a "start sketch icon" should be in Draft also.
This has no sense. A user that is drafting should stick with Draft, and one that is sketching should stick with Sketcher. Mixing both is a super bad idea.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

This has no sense. A user that is drafting should stick with Draft, and one that is sketching should stick with Sketcher. Mixing both is a super bad idea.
I see that now. Draft and Arch appear to have their own drawing tools. I guess this only applies to Part.
Thanks
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freedman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:41 pm A new user should not have to learn to make a custom tool bar or start switching workbenches ...
This is the concept behind workbenches. Tools are separated into groups (workbenches) of similar functions. You aren't supposed to use Sketcher and Part a lot. If you are going to do that, you should use PartDesign because this is precisely the workflow intended with this workbench, that is, draw a sketch, and then obtain a PartDesign Feature from it.

The Part workbench is mostly a workbench with basic functions that implement the core features of the OpenCASCADE kernel. The Part Workbench is very basic. It is not meant to be too complex.