Issues doing sweep on helix

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
anxietyscroll

Issues doing sweep on helix

Post by anxietyscroll »

Hello everyone!

I'm completely new to FreeCAD (I normally use some private CAD software everyone knows) and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to make a sweep. Briefly explained, I created an sketch containing a triangle on the XZ plane. Then I create a helix and moved the beginning of the helix to the point that should follow the helix. Couple of days ago I was able to sort this using a datum point from the helix as a constraint for the triangle sketch and that kind of worked, but now I'm trying to do it on a more straight forward way and it is definitely not working xD. Here I'm going to attach the screenshots and the project file. Also, I'm open to any recommendations about how to use the part/body workflow.
Attachments
torque.FCStd
project file
(73.1 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
this is the one I got to work
this is the one I got to work
expected.jpeg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 923 times
this is my current result
this is my current result
reult.jpeg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 923 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Issues doing sweep on helix

Post by chrisb »

There are several things wrong:
- You have to set Frenet=true in the sweep. This yields already a thread, but it is far too large.
- For the Part-Sweep you used a PartDesign-triangle from inside a body. That leads to a warning in report view. You should have used a sketch created from Sketcher workbench instead.

Repair:
- select the sketch of the triangle
- select MapMode in the DataTab
- click on the occurring ...-Button
- select "deactivated" and confirm
- move the triangle with the mouse out of body and enclosing part, i.e. move it over the filename

Now you see where it really lives and you can move your helix accordingly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
anxietyscroll

Post by anxietyscroll »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 am Repair:
- select the sketch of the triangle
- select MapMode in the DataTab
- click on the occurring ...-Button
- select "deactivated" and confirm
- move the triangle with the mouse out of body and enclosing part, i.e. move it over the filename
Great, it worked perfectly. The sweep solid, should I add it again to the body/part i was working on or just keep it there until I use it for dome boolean operations? I'm a little concerned about the workflow. I thought everything should be inside a body.
anxietyscroll

Post by anxietyscroll »

Never mind. Now I can't do a boolean operation (union) between a pad and the sweep. I'm sorry but I will revert to another software. Loved the sketch system on freecad, but nothing works here and you don't even have error messages. You users are very skilled and patient ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

anxietyscroll wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 pmI'm sorry but I will revert to another software.
Just for the record: It is indeed recommended to stay in one workbench if possible. So you should have used the PartDesign sweep, and not the Part sweep. However, the Helix has to be made in Part workbench and then must be imported with a ShapeBinder (or as the first BaseFeature in the body).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
anxietyscroll

Post by anxietyscroll »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm Just for the record: It is indeed recommended to stay in one workbench if possible. So you should have used the PartDesign sweep, and not the Part sweep. However, the Helix has to be made in Part workbench and then must be imported with a ShapeBinder (or as the first BaseFeature in the body).
How is it suppose I can be aware of all of this without any initial information? Is it supposed to read all the software documentation before creating a simple sweep?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

anxietyscroll wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:47 pmIs it supposed to read all the software documentation before creating a simple sweep?
No, but it helps.
anxietyscroll

Post by anxietyscroll »

So, I was following this tutorial because I can't just give up on this stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAkivnTq10) and found that the diameter of the helix can not be the same as the diameter of the cylinder (for sure, nothing better than making all in approximations). And that's how you can get a simple sweep to work on Freecad. (totally migrating to another software).
Attachments
Useful information
Useful information
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 18-40-53.png (17.74 KiB) Viewed 816 times
After knowing the bug
After knowing the bug
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 18-41-16.png (39.19 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Before knowing the bug
Before knowing the bug
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 18-41-47.png (37.81 KiB) Viewed 816 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Another customer happily served!
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

So, can't give up, but doesn't have the patience...to not give up. :shock:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."