Install on Unix locked

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Install on Unix locked

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 pm Waiting to unlock the page, I created https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_Linux/Unix for any changes.
Please don't use the forward slash on the page's name. That is confusing because it's the separator for web pages.

You can use something simple like Install_on_Linux2, and then just move it to Install_on_Linux once this problem has been resolved.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

david69 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:59 am I've modified the shortcut pointing to "Install on Unix" to the new page created by Renotorivo "Install on Linux/Uinx".
I have also modified the link in the Online Help Toc to point to Install on Linux/Unix.
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

JoshuaCall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 am I have also modified the link in the Online Help Toc to point to Install on Linux/Unix.
In fact, I'm goint to change as many as possible of the links in the What links here page (belonging to the uneditable version) so that they will instead link to Install on Linux/Unix.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

JoshuaCall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 am ... so that they will instead link to Install on Linux/Unix.
The page should be called Install_on_Linux! Not Install_on_Linux/Unix!
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

vocx wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 am The page should be called Install_on_Linux! Not Install_on_Linux/Unix!
I agree (since "unix" means MacOS, BSD, or Solaris) but I'm not sure what to do about it. Isn't the whole problem the fact that we can't rename the pages? Or does "move" in this context mean something other than rename? Should we create another new page?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

JoshuaCall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 am I agree ...
Basically, you don't need to do anything. There is a wiki migration going on right now. The wiki server will be moved to a dedicated host, and then the wiki administrators will be able to update it and have direct access to unlock the pages. Then we will be able to move, or rename pages properly.

I think Kremitzki said this would be ready by February, so we wait. Or, if Mario agrees, I suggest using the Install_on_Linux2 page as temporary solution. But I am absolutely against using "Install_on_Linux/Unix" as a temporary page.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

vocx wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:55 pm We need to solve this issue.

Current page: Compile_on_Linux/Unix

It does not work with the forum wiki tags: [wiki]Compile_on_Linux/Unix[/wiki]

---

The page should be named: Compile_on_Linux

It does work with the forum tags: Compile_on_Linux

---

The old page that remains locked: CompileOnUnix
Same as with the "Compile_on_Linux/Unix" page, we should rename the page, Install_on_Linux, and not "Install_on_Linux/Unix". The forward slash is completely unnecessary and confusing.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

By the way, yesterday I checked to see if the page was movable on the newly hosted Wiki. Good news, page successfully renamed. I still think we should be testing and using the new Wiki before we make it live.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Following the names of the Compiling pages, we should rename Install on Unix to Install on Linux.

Similarly, Install on Mac to Install on MacOS.

Install on Windows is already correct.