3d printable spool (for Helmoltz coils...)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JiPe38

3d printable spool (for Helmoltz coils...)

Post by JiPe38 »

Hi everybody.

This is my first freecad real part, so be indulgent please. Each of the two identical bodies (gray-blue) is one half of a spool. It's intended to support copper wires to create a magnetic field (Helmoltz coils) but the design could be used for other dimensions, other materials...
spool.jpg
spool.jpg (87.11 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
spoolHalf.jpg
spoolHalf.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
In order to be able to print on 3d printer, and cope with the hanging hot plastic problem, the spool has been cut in two identical parts . They are linked by interleaved teeth. On the internal side, the teeth have a hole. On the external side, the teeth have a clip which comes into this hole and make the assembly.

All the parameters are in a spreadsheet, named "parametres". Yes, it's french, but knowing the problems caused if I rename a spreadsheet once the model is built, I gave up and let it in french.

In a first design, I made a geometrical construction in "Sketch015" to shape the clip whatever were the dimensions of the teeth : too difficult. So I made a light construction, not exact on the geometric point of view, which allows to see if the chosen angle for the clip base is correct, not letting the edge of the clip come inside the internal overall diameter of the spool. I think it's better to leave this manual.

Thanks for comments and corrections if any.
spool.FCStd
(270.74 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Last edited by Kunda1 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: fixed attached images bbcode
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: 3d printable spool (for Helmoltz coils...)

Post by Kunda1 »

OP, please add screenshots and also add FC About info to your OP.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

Nice work!

I liked your design so opened it to see how you modeled it. I saw two things that think could be improved
- No alias for parameters
- Flat clips

So I improved this for fun. See the attached file. Can you please check that I didn't break anything?
spool.fcstd
(225.39 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Gaël

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
JiPe38

Post by JiPe38 »

Thanks for your mods : I learn a lot. Two remarks.

- I tried to change the width of copper zone to 30 mm and it failed. Looking why, I found that the sketches of the upper part of the tools were placed in position z = 9 mm still. Tried to change this to place them at height <<Parameters>>.flange_thickness + <<Parameters>>.width_of_copper_zone. It failed, I found this z placement impossible to modify. I don't know if it's something that can be adjusted just at sketch creation or if I miss a condition to be able to modify this.

- The clip positionning is a headhache. Very interesting exercice indeed. I prefered working by defining an angle, because when changing the tooth base widh, it changes the absolute angle of the tangents to this clip relative to axis z. This is functionnal, because when you clip the two spools together, you need that the effort be limited to a reasonable value, and also if you want to be able to disassemble the two half spool you need also a reasonnable effort. This effort condition is related to the ratio beetween the height in z of, say, the center of this clip, and the width of the teeth. Ideally, I should have fixed in the spreadsheet the angle of the clip tangent at the insertion point, relative to axis z, and same for extraction point. If anyone has an Idea to create a sketch of the clip which fulfills these conditions, I buy it :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

JiPe38 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am
Please test using 0.19pre (since that is what the file was created in) and then report back.
You can easily do this via the AppImage

Also since this is a User Showcase thread, lets keep the discussion here related to showcasing. To discuss improvements and other logistics, please lets continue the thread in Open Discussions. If there is anything that comes of that, you can post the results back to this showcase thread. Make sense?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

JiPe38 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am - I tried to change the width of copper zone to 30 mm and it failed. Looking why, I found that the sketches of the upper part of the tools were placed in position z = 9 mm still. Tried to change this to place them at height <<Parameters>>.flange_thickness + <<Parameters>>.width_of_copper_zone. It failed, I found this z placement impossible to modify. I don't know if it's something that can be adjusted just at sketch creation or if I miss a condition to be able to modify this.
It's indeed working on my setup (package Version: 0.19~pre2~202001151537~ubuntu18.04.1). By the way, the version from "About FreeCAD" is broken it seems.
JiPe38 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am - The clip positionning is a headhache. Very interesting exercice indeed. I prefered working by defining an angle, because when changing the tooth base widh, it changes the absolute angle of the tangents to this clip relative to axis z. This is functionnal, because when you clip the two spools together, you need that the effort be limited to a reasonable value, and also if you want to be able to disassemble the two half spool you need also a reasonnable effort. This effort condition is related to the ratio beetween the height in z of, say, the center of this clip, and the width of the teeth. Ideally, I should have fixed in the spreadsheet the angle of the clip tangent at the insertion point, relative to axis z, and same for extraction point. If anyone has an Idea to create a sketch of the clip which fulfills these conditions, I buy it :)
Could you make a scheme so that it's easier for other to help fixing this?

Thanks,
Gaël
JiPe38

Post by JiPe38 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:32 am
JiPe38 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am
Please test using 0.19pre (since that is what the file was created in) and then report back.
You can easily do this via the AppImage

Also since this is a User Showcase thread, lets keep the discussion here related to showcasing. To discuss improvements and other logistics, please lets continue the thread in Open Discussions. If there is anything that comes of that, you can post the results back to this showcase thread. Make sense?
OK it makes sense. I will try this with 0.19.
JiPe38

Post by JiPe38 »

I understand that to use 0.19 (appImage) I need Linux. I am with Windows 10... too many apps on windows, a single computer, no time to go to a dual boot solution, not enough neurons to shift from Windows to Linux environment : I need them for other tasks. I will wait for a 0.19 on WIndows.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

JiPe38 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am I understand that to use 0.19 (appImage) I need Linux. I am with Windows 10... too many apps on windows, a single computer, no time to go to a dual boot solution, not enough neurons to shift from Windows to Linux environment : I need them for other tasks. I will wait for a 0.19 on WIndows.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

0.19pre can run in parallel with 0.18.4
Just make sure to backup the files you created in 0.18.4 before opening them in 0.19 for obvious reasons.