PR #3141 preferences 3D view dialog beautification

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
uwestoehr
Veteran

PR #3141 preferences 3D view dialog beautification

Post by uwestoehr »

I noticed that the 3D view dialog has unnecessary whitespace, some items are much too wide and some are a bit scattered:
current screenshot
current screenshot
FreeCAD_QR4YqUsocj.png (66.56 KiB) Viewed 9496 times

With this PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3141

I added the missing SetEnabled slot for the backlight label and beautified this a bit:
screenshot with PR
screenshot with PR
FreeCAD_y23XXtVHxJ.png (71.92 KiB) Viewed 9496 times

(I removed the line because it was not clarifying anything.)
carlopav
Veteran

Re: PR #3141 preferences 3D view dialog beautification

Post by carlopav »

Nice, +1

I couldn't help asking myself if we can align right every dropdown list button... what do you think?
FreeCAD_y23XXtVHxJ.png
FreeCAD_y23XXtVHxJ.png (73.7 KiB) Viewed 9488 times
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm all for this, one caveat though, please make sure the results are the same on all platforms
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

carlopav wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 pm I couldn't help asking myself if we can align right every dropdown list button... what do you think?
I implemented it according to your changes but kept the Mouse... button where it was:
new version
new version
FreeCAD_xfgyeCfS76.png (71.47 KiB) Viewed 9474 times
I think one could sit ages at the layout. In my opinion it is better than before.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm
I implemented it according to your changes but kept the Mouse... button where it was.
I think one could sit ages at the layout. In my opinion it is better than before.
Yes sure, thanks for taking into account my suggestion!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The page is by far too overloaded now. Things should be arranged in a way that at a first glance it's easy to see what all the settings are good for. This e.g. means that all the settings that affects the rendering like showing the cs, fps counter, render cache, anti-aliasing should be moved to an own group box, then navi cube stuff should go into an own group box and all navigation stuff should go into an own group box, too.

And if the page becomes too big then it's probably best to split the whole thing into two pages.

At the moment when I open the preferences then the dialog occupies around 80% of the available height on a 27" monitor and the culprit for this is the IFC import/export settings. The page offers around 30 options and that's by far too much. So, this pages should be split into two.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:58 pm The page is by far too overloaded now.
I don't agree because it consumes less vertical space than before and the different items are better listed and aligned.

Your criticism is a general one, but I only tried to improve the situation without heavily changing things. I mean from time to time people complained, so I started some action.
I am not opposed to rearrange the whole dialog, splitting it into 2 or whatever.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm I implemented it according to your changes but kept the Mouse... button where it was:
The PR was eventually merged so I played a bit to get your proposal done to move the Mouse--- button. And I think yes, this looks nicer:
FreeCAD_8LhpM1X25r.png
FreeCAD_8LhpM1X25r.png (20.9 KiB) Viewed 9179 times

This is PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3178

I promise, this will be my last action on this dialog for now -> we are facing a commit freeze for good reasons ;) .
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 am I promise, this will be my last action on this dialog for now -> we are facing a commit freeze for good reasons
After merging your last PR I started to work on the page and moved all navigation stuff into its own page.
git commit 1601766af6d
git commit 5d99fcb119

If you just look superficially at the page then it's so overwhelming with that many settings and for newbies not quite easy to understand. Mainly settings that affect the pure rendering and settings that affect the interaction with the 3D view are mixed together which makes it even more complicated to understand their meanings.

That's why I have re-arranged the settings and moved some general settings, the rendering settings and the navigation settings into their own group boxes. And because when having all settings in one page it still looked very overloaded I decided to split them into two pages.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Thanks to both, every "small" UI improvement is a big joy to me :)